Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:26 PM   #1

Recently, I sold my DA 16-45 to make room for the new DA* 16-50 that I was preparing to purchase along with the K10D.

For the last couple of days, I've been shooting with the DA 18-55 kit lens that came with my K100D.
And, I have the following observation.....

I find the DA 18-55 Kit lens to be a very nicely performing lens. Especially for a lens that can be bought on e-bay for around $60 most of the time and it cost about that much if you include it with a kit.

Now, having said that.... If you have a DA 18-55 and are considering replacing it with the DA 16-45... Don't wait, don't pass GO, Don't collect $200, get on the internet, or go to your favorite retailer and buy one..... There is a marked difference in these lens.

The 16-45 lens produces sharper, brighter and just overall better photographs. In fact, I've had a couple of folks tell me that they like it better than the DA* 16-50 (I'll have my opinion on that one in a few weeks). It is an extraordinarily good lens.

So, again, if you're thinking about buying one and just can't get off the fence.... Do it and do it now.
Thank you for entertaining my rant.

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2

Hi Ed, I'm the one that posted the comparison between the 18-55 and the 16-45. Either my copy of the 18-55 is extremely good or my copy of the 16-45 is off. Every comparison I make has the 18-55 coming out a bit better. I do really like the 16-45 and will probably keep it. The little test I ran between these two and the 10-17 thrown in, had the 16-45 metering a bit slower than the other two with the same f stop. I do like the color and its noticeably wider than the 2mm would indicate.

All that being said, the kit lens is a great bargin. When I bought mine there was a $16 difference between the body only and kit - so it was a steal.

I hope your 16-50 comes and does well - post some images when you have a chance....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:21 AM   #3

Just like other lenses, some are better than others-my 50-200 is great-have read a few posts saying people have problems. My 16-45 is an expensive disappointment really sad I paid that much for a lens that doesn't deliver.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote