Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:18 AM   #1

Okay quick vote if you had enough extra cash to get a 10d or buy glass. What would you do?

I have DL with kit lens and an old FA 80-320 zoom lens.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:32 AM   #2

posting a picture at the big lake
Attached Images
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:02 AM   #3

Unless there's something specific on the K10 that you feel you really need for some reason (like you really want to change metering modes on the camera body instead of in the menusor you want the weather sealing because you are heading for a windy desert), I'd recommend getting the glass every time. Of course, in my case it's a matter of doing what I say not what I did - I got camera-envy right after the K10 came out and bought one. I don't regret it because it's a nice camera that I'm once again using it as my main one, but upgrading lenses has in the long run made a bigger difference to my enjoyment and quality of pictures than the added camera features.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:04 AM   #4

Not having had a DL I can't say anything about body comparisons, but Bodies are always changing, Glass is forever(at least for Pentax mounts!!!). For the cost of a new K10D you can get a pretty amazing piece of glass or several used but amazing lenses.

The K10D is pretty wonderful, so whatever decision you make will be a good one (lame answer)

For the pic: OUTRAGEOUS colors! Did you combine multiple EVs or accomplish that from one unadulterated file?
CyberCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:47 AM   #5

Bought my K10 in August-this is the closest thing I will ever get to a Pro DSLR-the pricing was really amazing-even better now-B&H has the K10 with the kit lens for $699.00 after $100 rebate. I have a DS and now the K10d- plan on keeping both for a long time.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6

I have a DL and the only thing I am dissappointed in is the shutter lag. Its still way better than a point and shoot, but with sports and some wildlife it can be irritating. I don't know how much better the K10D would be. However, that said, a good lens will yield some wonderful pictures for a long time to come, no matter what body you have on it. I would go with the glass.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:08 PM   #7

I have To agree with the others. Good glass wins hands down.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:32 PM   #8

Depends on if you do a lot of hand held shooting. I have both the DL and K10 and let me tell you, the shake reduction is a god send. Now if you shoot from a tripod a lot and only shoot hand held in great light then glass may be the way to go, but if you're like me and shoot almost exclusively hand held and you want to reduce hand shake? Can't beat the K10D.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:39 PM   #9

I have the K100 and would go for the glass. However, in saying that, I have to agree with Spirit, that if the image stablization would help with handheld shots, then I would have to go with the body.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:42 AM   #10

Glass. And I know I seem always to be pushing the old lens but there are some very very good new full auto ones I'm setting my sights on. The one camera whether a DL or K10 will always benifit from good lens....The lens won't care about the camera but the camera (either one) will benifit from the glass!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote