Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2007, 2:23 AM   #11

made the transition from the fz5 with the appearance of the k10d and am still very happy with it.

You're correct about going to augment the price with lenses, I guess anyone who is a bit enthousiastic about photography wants to have great/the best equipment.

The Raynox lenses do work, I made some nice macro's with them, even dare to combine them with a macro lens to get a bit closer.
some post from a while back

Concerning the flash ...
I'm not sure, normally It should work in manual mode but I would google it anyway.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 8:32 AM   #12

Thanks, mntgal.

I remember your struggles with the FZ-30. As I recall, you gave it a good try but it just wasn't for you. I found it a great bridge camera. When I bought it, I barely knew anything about manual camera controls. Learned a lot.

I do like the look of the photos I've seen from the K10D. I do tend to agree with some reviews that they lean a little towards the soft side with the default jpg settings, but I also think it does give it a more film-like look. Some of the FZ pics tend to be a bit harsh on the eyes. I've been using RAW on the FZ more lately and have learned to appreciate the difference it offers.

I'm glad to hear the Raynox lenses will probably work. Sounds like I'll probably want to invest in a dedicated macro lens at some point though. So much homework todo on all this stuff.

Thanks for the input!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 9:20 AM   #13

The main reason that my images are so soft in this series is that I am shooting at f1.4 to let in light. Personally, I like images like these to be softer though but others might not.

Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:00 AM   #14

I also came to the K10D from a panasonic FZ30. Here is a review I wrote about the K10D when I first got it.

I am very happy with my up-grade from a FZ30 to a K10D.

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 6:31 PM   #15

You don't have to break the bank on lenses right away. The kit lens is quite good, even for closee-ups, and might work well with your Raynox lenses for greater magnification; there are some moderately priced lenses from Tamron and Sigma with which many people find themselves quite satisfied. You can work with these until you reach their limits and have to move up, which may be a long time or never, depending on your requirements.

As for your present flash, if it doesn't have a Pentax shoe, I wouldn't mount it on the camera. You could use it as an off-camera slave with a suitable trigger adapter. Sunpak makes a "Digital Camera Flash Adapter" that triggers off the built-in flash of the camera, and is adjustable to compensate for pre-flash. The flash mounts on the handle of the L-shaped bracket, which extends beneath the camera body. It sells for about $40 and works with any flash except those with high trigger voltage (it doesn't say how high is high, but you could get that from their customer service).

Which of the Pentaxes would be best for you depends on your experience and requirements. I have not used the Panasonic, and so do not know how much manual control it allows. If you are used to using onlyprogrammed modes, the K100D might be a better bridge camera if you don't asbsolutely need the 10 megapixels, as the K10D does not have those modes, although its automatic (green) and program settings do quite well under most conditions without requiring overriding. Another consideration is the weatherproofing of the k10D - in a damp and humid climate such as yours (I lived and worked in and around BRand the nearby Gulf Coastfor 7 years) it should add to the life of the camera.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:16 PM   #16

I upgraded from Panny FZ7 to K10D in October, and I haven't regretted it a second (not to say I didn't get great use out of the FZ). I wanted a camera that I could learn and grow as a photog with, and didn't want to have to deal with camera envy if I'd gotten the K100.

I didn't worry so much about the program modes because I'd been trying to do as much manually with the FZ as I could (big reason why I realized I wanted to upgrade!) and I figured I'd learn it. Plus, as many on this board told me, "Free Film" with digital. If I screw up a shot, I just adjust the settings until I get it right (I primarily do landscape, so not really going to miss a shot by adjusting). I think macro works the same way. Unless you're shooting critters, your subject isn't going to move on you if you want to adjust and take the shot 5 times in a row.

I picked up a cheap $20 Pentax M 50 manual lens on ebay and a "reverse" adaptor for another $10 from an online camera store. So for $30, I have macro and it works okay (obviously a dedicated macro lens would be better, but it's not my priority).

Like other posters have said, don't go crazy with new lenses right away. I have the 18-55 and 50-200 and already have an unhealthy obsession with going to prime lenses...but I haven't come close to exhausting my possibilities with the two kit lenses...so it's a misguided obsession right now. The really sad thing is I was warned by all of the very intelligent and helpful people on this forum to be careful of this. I struggle with my shame...

tnaskedov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:06 PM   #17

I'm gonna approach your choice from a different perspective than most -- not necessarily more valid, but. . .

I think that if I were to make the choice today, I'd choose the K100 Super. The K10 looks to be the easy choice because it's such a great value, but if IQ is your main reason for looking to DSLRs, then I think that the relatively clean high ISO performance of the 6MP sensor might be more readily appreciated than the resolution of the 10MP K10 sensor would be missed. Being able to rely on using ISO 800 and 1600, you can get away with using slower (read less expensive) lenses, and with SR, you are gaining even more. You can still crop 6 MPs heavily and get a great image, even for 8x10 sized prints -- think about it, a 2000x1600 pixel crop (a little more than 1/2 the 6 MP frame) gives you 200 dpi at 8x10 -- more than enough for most images, even without upsampling.

I think it's possibly a mistake to see an "entry level" DSLR as something that one is going to "grow out of". I think that a great majority of users are very happy with the performance of these models, and probably don't even think about where the upgrade path will lead. Not every DReb owner lusts for "L" glass and a 1DsMkIII, or even a 5D or 40D -- just as most Pentax 35mm film owners never even thought of "stepping up" to an LX, PZ1P, or one of the medium format models and * glass.

I'm not much for relying on speculation, but with the new sensor in the D300 and A700, I'm thinking that the anticipated new high end Pentax DSLR, which will probably be introduced at PMA, will have a sensor as good or better for high sensitivity shooting, and will at least have the speed and feature set of the K10 (the word is that the new Pentax sensor will not be the Sony, and will not be 12.4 MP). As this is now only a few months away, it might be worth the wait and the extra money if it gives the clean high ISO performance of the K100 with some added speed and the basic feature set and handling of the K10. For me, that would be a body that I could live with for a very long time. . .

I have found the K10 to be a significantly more challenging body to use to it's best advantage than the DS. For low noise higher ISO IQ, though it's possible with the K10, it's also pretty unforgiving in exposure latitude, and for some reason, the sensor exposes CA and PF problems of lens design more than the 6.1MP sensor of the D series and K100 bodies, IMO. With the DS, it's just not as difficult to get great results at whatever I try, and it doesn't have SR. . .

I must admit to using the K10 more often. I really like the adjustability and features, but I've by no means "outgrown" the DS. . . and there are many situations in my birding pursuits that it's my preferred body -- even without the SR.

BTW, I'm an FZ (FZ1v2 and FZ30) owner who chose the Pentax system over two years ago with the DS, and have been very satisfied with my choice -- so much so that I also was an early purchaser of the K10 when it was introduced, so I still have and use all four.

Your Sunpak 433D should work with whichever body you use, but be aware that the trigger voltage is possibly questionable (it's been reported to have measured trigger voltages of between 4.8-14v by different users). If you can contact a Sunpak Tech (or measure it yourself) and find that it's under 6V, then you can pretty much use it without worrying, but if it's over the 6V, you might want to invest in a Wein Safe Synch just to make sure that it won't damage the body. The flash should work in either "Auto" or Manual modes, as it would with just about any other hot shoe camera. Some added advantages of the use of this kind of flash are the ability to use a high voltage battery pack, you don't need a dedicated Pentax compatible hotshoe to hotshoe cord to get the flash off the camera, and standard optical slaves will work since you don't have to contend with the preflash of P-TTL.

Although a dedicated macro is probably the best way to go, the Raynox diopters are good ones, and especially the 250 will give you some pretty incredible macro shots. There are many threads discussing different possible macro lens choices on this forum, so you should be able to find some excellent suggestions for lenses that you might want to look out for. . .

Just my 2ยข. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 11:37 PM   #18

Thanks for all the input everyone. I really do appreciate it.

snostorm - I haven't completely ruled out the K100D Super. I just checked the price at B&H and was surprised to see the kit selling for $499.. and there's a $100 rebate! Cheaper than my Panny was two years ago.

It might be wise to go this route and learn my way around the DSLR world without having to make a huge investment.

I did find one place in town that carries Pentax and stopped by there for a few minutes tonight. First time actually holding these cams. They did seem a bit bulky coming from the FZ-30, but nothing unusual I guess. I played around with the Canon XTi while I was there. The salesperson tried to sell me on that one and just made my decisions more difficult. I'm planning on going back when I have more time and hopefully get a good feel of all of the DSLRs in this range.

I'm either going to overthink this thing, or just go for it and end up buying one on impulse. :?
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 8:11 AM   #19

I don't disagree with Scott at all, as I have, and use often, both the K100 and the K10 (made the mistake of selling the DS when my other half bought me the K10). The extra weight of the K10 does get to me sometimes (I'm a small female), and I also sometimes find the K10 "fussy" - all those convenient controls are also easily changed accidentally when putting the camera in a bag. There are times when I just want to go out and take a picture, without having to think about all of the variables, and have a reasonable expectation it will come out well. The K100 seems more forgiving that way. I'm not about to sell either of my two cameras any time soon, though. I have way too much fun using them both.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:11 PM   #20

I think that you have received great advice, and what ever you do, you will be very pleased with whatever you wind up selecting. I went with the K100D for the weight and (relative) simplicity as opposed to the K10D, and have been very happy. I wanted to travel and thus weight and size was important, along with a slightly simpler camera, so that I would not have to futz with the camera settings to get a decent shot. The few limitations I have bumped up against with the K100, I have just worked around, which essentially has made me a better photographer. After a good year, I feel that I still have a lot to learn and have not even used all the capabilities of the body as of yet. It's going to take a lot more time.

6MP has met my needs (so far), and I am assuming that probably sometime in the future, the K10's capabilities will probably flow down to the K100 form factor, probably about the time I am ready to upgrade. I am in no real hurry either.

Pentax has come out with a steady stream of lenses for this sensor size so, no problem with them walking away from it any time soon. So my lens investiment is reasonably secure, plus there is already a upgrade path for me that is available.

The kit lens is wonderful, and coupled with the 50-200 you have probably 99% of what most people will ever use. You can go broke trying to have the best equipment, but most people will never be able to see the difference.

Additionally, there is a large Pentax following on this forum. Just as soon as someone says, that Pentax is not really perfect for say indoor sports (at the professional level - they are right), however someone posts a set for wonderful shots of indoor vollyball or basketball - might not make it to Sports Illulstrated, but looked great to me.

Bottom line - what makes the picture is the photographer.

We have a rescue IG (Italian Greyhound) here that we are fostering. A terrible picture was taken of her in a wire crate - looked like she was in jail - hence, over the last couple of months no one has called to see her. Looking at the rescue website, we thought that she needed some better exposure. So since it was going on the internet, I just flipped to jpg and reduced resolution, so that I could burst 10+ images in a row, upped the ISO for inside the house and shot away. Here is an example - with not the best 75-300mm lens, inside the house at 1/30 sec, f5.6 with an ISO of 800, ( using reduced ** jpg). That is with a shallow depth of field, shooting a back lighted subject.

So I really would not feel that the K100 is a entry level - limited capability body. It just does not have every currently known bell and whistle, knob, wheel, button set and widget. Maybe in 3 to 5 years, I might be ready to maybe upgrade. Until then - I am pretty happy.
Attached Images
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote