Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1

I have not posted any shots for awhile as this fall has just been to busy. I do have new inspiration as my wife bought me a K10d for our anniversary; now she can finally have sole custody of "her" K100d. Well, unless I feel the need to carry two bodies of course :-).

Yesterday I went with my son on a Cub Scout's field trip to The Florida Train Museum. Every Veterans Day they have have a WW II reenactor encampment and WW II themed train rides. For me, this was better than Disney World. The idea was that the train ride started in occupied France escaping the advancing allies. Along the ride the train stopped and there were pitched battles between German and Allied reenactors until the Americans captured the train for the ride back. Of course, the Germans tried to take it back and the whole thing ended with a large battle at the train station/encampment area. The reenactors were excellent with German officers coming through the train and demanding to see your papers and the American officers trying to gather intelligence about what was ahead.

The K10 performed great, I LOVE the size of the buffer and I really like the dual wheel manual control. I am still reading through the manual and learning the camera, but here are my first results:

Sorry for such a long post, I just could not pare down my list of shots I wanted to share any further. All of the shots were taken with either the kits lens or the Tamron 180mm f/2.5 adaptall lens (love that lens). And to all the veterans on the list, of any country, I doff my hat and wish you all the best.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:13 PM   #2

Very nice series! I especially love the black and whites.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:22 PM   #3

very nicely done! excellent series, thanks for sharing.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:40 PM   #4

Well done.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:42 PM   #5

Very nice. I really like the second and the last.
sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:09 PM   #6

I'm not really into military things. But, marrying into a military family has kept me surrounded by it.

These are nice images. Looks like you had a very good time reliving the history.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:41 PM   #7

Great series. Like fisheye, I think the black and whites are really terrific, especially #2. Sounds like a fantastic way tohonor the veterans for whom these events were not a role-play, but a life and death struggle.

As the proud father of two who have served in uniform (and the fairly recent father-in-law of one still wearing the Navy blue), hats off to all who have served.
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 5:42 PM   #8

First off, Congrats on the K10D. You have taken Some excellent photos.
Let Me say that i am a WWII Buff( Father and Uncle were in WWII). I only wish i could have been there. That would have made my year.

Thanks For Sharing these

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 9:39 PM   #9

Wonderful pictures! I also like the black & white ones best, it seems to suit the topic so well. Looks like you are not having any trouble getting used to the K10 and it's controls (which are different than the K100). The adaptall sure takes wonderful pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:55 AM   #10

Great series of images - two things though.

1. The uniforms, vehicles and people are way to clean.

2. The men in the images are too old - most ground troops in WWII were in their late teens to mid 20's.

If you add more grain to the B&W - they would look like they were shot in a hurry. Very nice series. I like the 2nd image the best.

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote