Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:06 AM   #1

Which prompts this question.

Do you carry everything that you will possibly use in your bag? Or, do you carry what you feel you will use regularly and have a supplemental bag for things that won't get used as frequently. Such as, battery charger, ND filter adapters, Card reader. reference literature.
I'm just curious how everyone handles this????

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:08 AM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I typically store everything in a good sized camera bag. When I am "on the road" I pack what I need into a regular everydayback pack. Seems to work well for me.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:52 AM   #3

Yep, I have my "mother ship" bag (Tamrac 614) that tends to stay in the jeep, and I offload needed equipment to a no-name "shuttle" bag that I think was originally for video stuff. And I picked up a Pentax holster bag for the K10D and a short lens, for walkabouts.

Duck Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:14 AM   #4

I have an every day bag that has my favorite lenses and (now) whichever camera I'm using, along with a couple of filters and extra cards and batteries. I don't have all of the rest of the equipment in any bag - I'll just grab whatever else I think I'll need for whatever I'm doing. Battery chargers end up in my computer bag and only go with me on overnight trips, never day to day.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:28 AM   #5

i've got a ''mothership'' bag and use a walk around belt bag that holds the body and 3 lenses and accessories. if i'm doing the zoo or similar i'll just use pants with cargo pockets... the tammy 300/2.8 is on a separate strap and totes very well that way by itself..

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:46 PM   #6

It's not a big problem for me (yet!) as I only have 2 lenses (the kit 18-55 and a Sigma 70-300) but I do have a main bag that takes everything I possess, including flash & charger, with plenty of room to spare. If I'm off out I have a small bag that I can just fit the GX-10 plus Sigma into with the 18-55 ina pocket at the front. Spare SD cards are in those neat little carry cases that Sandisk provide clipped onto the strap and spare batteries (when I remember) in a pocket.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:26 PM   #7

I keep all My Equipment in my Lowepro Slingshot . If i am going to be near my car i take the Slingshot.
If i am not going to be near the car or i am away on vacation, i use my Tamarac Digital shoulder Bag and take what i think i will need.
If i am going to a family outing or such, i take my camera and walkaround lense in my Lowepro Rezo TLZ20 or just take the Wifes Panny TZ2-S

Black Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:10 PM   #8

My kits just seems to be getting bigger, I have increased by bag size three times. I started off with a simple lowpro bag that carried my camera and batteries.

Then LBA kicked in an I upped to a LowPro Slingshot AW100, that was good for about 8 months.

Then I changed jobs and found I was going to be travelling the world and got somemore lenses and a LowPro AW All Trekker backpack.

Now I have a storage box at home for all my kit and use either the Slinghot or backpack when I go overseas to take what I need for each days trip and boy the cameras and lenses get mistreated but keep on performing.

To be honest I have lost track of what lenses and kit I have, as I haven't been home in a while.

I try to limit myself to a few lenses only when I am overseas. Mainly due to weight restrictions. My next trip, next month, I am allowed a double my weight limit so I will be taking big glass, thats 8 months worth of camera opportunites.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:50 PM   #9

Hi Ed,

I hate knowing that I have the right tool for a particular job, but don't have it with me, so I like to carry a lot of stuff, based on past "D@mn, if I only had that ___ with me " experiences.

I don't use "camera" bags per se -- I have a variety of tool bags, backpacks, and sling packs that I've picked up cheap (typically under $15 each) while wandering about. I use Phoenix brand neoprene lens sacks for most of the lenses, so I don't need the padded dividers. The downsides are that I have to dig through the bag some, and the bags generally don't have any protective padding on any side but the bottom. The upside is that a couple of grand in camera gear pretty much looks the same as a hundred dollars worth of cheap tools or a kid's pack (hopefully not worth breaking into an alarmed car for -- fingers crossed) sitting in my car while I'm off running errands.

I generally keep all my photo gear in a cabinet, and pick and choose what I'm going to carry on any particular day (I do carry a DSLR, external flash, and at least a couple of lenses every day). Typically, I'll take one body, a DA 10-17 FE, Sigma 17-70 (or Tamron 28-75 f2.8 ), F 50 1.7, D FA 100 Macro, and either the Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 or the FA*300/4.5 with the F 1.7x AFA, a 540 FGZ flash with some flash modifiers and a remote cord setup, extra batteries and memory cards, a small bulb blower, and remote shutter releases in a smallish tool bag. There's enough room left over to fit another body if I feel I want to carry it. This bag pretty much stays packed, with the only regular changes being the long lens, and the camera body. I'll throw the battery chargers and a card reader in if there's an overnight stay involved. I also have at least one tripod and a monopod in the car's trunk at all times.

I have another similarly sized tool bag that can carry most of my other flash stuff in -- more flash modifiers, spare gun(s), more batteries, brackets and remote cords. This only gets grabbed when I'm going to shoot an event where the flash(es) will be used extensively. This bag, and another that carries a couple of very light duty, super compact full sized tripods and a table top tripod that I can use to mount remote flashes, stay packed and are only occasionally used.

I also have a special leather sling bag that only carries the Tam SP 300/2.8 if I choose to drag it along. It's special enough (read huge and heavy) that it deserves its own carrier.

I regularly rotate through the bags/packs, as each has its advantages or disadvantages for any particular day's shooting, the biggest factor being if I'll need the stuff with me all the time, or if I can establish a close by, reasonably secure "base camp" where I can quickly go to get what I need. The tool bags and sling packs get the most use.

I also like cargo pants and photo or fly fishing vests for carrying gear when the weather is right, and have fashioned a reasonably heavy duty web belt with a fanny pack and some lens pouches (the Phoenix pouches have belt loops) for other special situations.

This all sounds like it might be very organized, but you can be assured that it's actually a very haphazard process. . .:-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:56 PM   #10

Hi all,
I use a backpack every day that I've padded out so I don't look like I'm carrying anything special, plus it's handy as most days I ride to work(motorcycle that is) and most of the time I only carry the 10D, 28/70 ex sigma and a spare card. If I'm going anywhere specific I pack to cover where I'm going.

simowills is offline   Reply With Quote