Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:39 PM   #11

Trojansoc wrote:
I think it's very striking, but I also suspect the original shot, wth that level of feather detail, would be rather impressive.

Editing question for snostorm:** When I've done selective color, what I've generally done is to create an editing layer, desaturate it, then erase the areas in which I want the color to come through.* Would using a soft brush for the erasing using this technique give the same effect as you're suggesting?
Hi TS,

It really depends on the subject. The distinct border of the eye of 87's hawk, for example works with a hard border, but the feathers of the head need a softer transition IMO, especially since they are a tiny bit out of the sharp focus plane. I alter the hardness, density, and opacity of the brush depending on the situation, going as low as less than "10/100" on each in some instances (using PSP). I'm definitely still learning new tricks in PP every day, but this works the best so far. . . I might have a different solution tomorrow tho. . . :-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:52 PM   #12

Thnaks Ira Tim for your comments. Scott i will try to fade the black in so its gives it a smoother transition.

87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:43 AM   #13

Jim I really like the head angle of the second one a lot better....Thanks for posting the originals too..

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 2:48 AM   #14

I much prefer the second image pose. The b/w does not work for me though but what do i know

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote