Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:26 PM   #1

This morning, I took Dawg's suggestion of a skylight filter on the front end of my Phoenix 100-400 as I went out and shot inthe slightearly morning haze. The results were far better than I had expected. There was partial sunlight for most of these, but all represented great improvement from the shots I normally get at this time of day.

First, the ever present Cardinal

This white-throated sparrow was contemplating the edge of a small pond....i.e. the ruts in my driveway after the recent rains.

For some reason, I have had difficulty getting good shots of Carolina Wrens until the last couple of days. I suspect the last non-shy wren just showed up

This blue jay shot is only interesting because of the extreme distance and the effect of using the filter. This was taken at 50-75 yards into a high western sky with the sun to my back. Without the filter I would probably have had blown highlights and/or purple fringing at that distance (obviously a pretty strong crop...I know there's noise--this is after using Noiseware.)

Thanks, dawg. It was an excellent idea

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:42 PM   #2

You are more than welcome..I love those shots. They are making me want to get some bird feed into the feeders but I'll resist for a while yet...LOL I've used a Skylight 1-A filter on my lenses for 35+ years now..I had a good friend I worked with named Tom Whitmire...( A Danged Yankee at that)...tell me about them. They work good on sunlit green foliage too. Takes some of the blue cast away for richer greens!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote