Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1

As I said in the January Challenge topic, I've had a wonderful time taking pictures the last couple of days. I thought I'd post some of them, since I was so delighted with them (and I'll probably post too many since I can't make up my mind which ones to delete).

First, a couple from yesterday at work. This first one I like because of the colors. I can't decide if I like the adjustment I did to the lines or not - to truly get them straight I would have lost too many windows and that's what I liked - the sky's reflection in the glass.

K10, DA 12-24

This one is my husband's favorite and one that I almost posted for the challenge. It has it's faults, but I thought it was interesting - not my usual type of subject at all.

K10, DA12-24

This morning found me heading out to a nearby lake (actually a reservoir called Quail Lake). It was breezy, even at 7:30 am, so no reflection. However, there were a couple of puddles in the parking lot and the sunrise was pretty:

I then headed back along a quiet two lane road that goes past a couple of sink ponds. I changed lenses around, putting the DA12-24 on the K100 and a longer lens on the K10. As you can tell, the 12-24 has opened up a different world for me, and I've been having a great time trying to take advantage of it.

K100 and DA12-24

I can't get away from the electrical wires, so I added them into this picture. K10 and DA*50-135:

More of the Gorman Hills, K100 and DA12-24:

K10, A*300

On my way back home, I ran across some fog. This picture was taken from across a very busy freeway (4 lanes of traffic each way). It's quite a contrast to the first pictures.

K10, DA*50-135

Finally, I ended up at our local county park, looking for more reflections and checking out the ducks. Guess this duck was confused (K10, A*300)

I'm not a good birder. I was so busy trying to take pictures of the ducks and the couple of coots, that I didn't notice the bird in the distance. When I looked at this picture on the monitor I was very surprised to see a Hooded Merganser. I've never noticed them around here before.

K10, A*300

I did find reflections here at the pond. This was another picture that I wanted to post for the challenge.

K100, DA*50-135

I always get carried away and post too many pictures, but couldn't figure out which ones to leave out. Thanks for looking, and any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2

Very Cool Harriet, I like #6 the best.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:04 AM   #3

Quite a set of pictures, Harriet. I want to look at them now and then for some days before I come up with an opinion. I'll be back.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:28 AM   #4

Too many choices!!! Number 8 and the last shot got my attention most quickly.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:37 AM   #5

Very nice, Harriet. Looks like you're having fun with this challenge. I like them all. Your giving the locations is nice as all I ever do is drive through that area on Rt 99 and don't get to see the scenes you've posted. Thank you.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:03 AM   #6

One of the real joys of this forum is the way it can open our eyes to new possibilities when we see beautiful photographs taken by talented individuals who are working with the same equipment as we are. This series makes me want to grab my K10 and RUN out the door to find something beautiful to shoot.

I would say picking a favorite is tough, but it's not. The shot of the ranch in the fog clearly is my favorite, with #6 in the Gorman hills a close second. The color contrasts in the Gorman hills series are really outstanding.

Thanks for some truly inspirational shots, Harriet.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:45 AM   #7

They are all beautiful Harriet but the ranch in the fog is the one I like best!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:50 AM   #8

Thanks for the compliments, all!

It's been way too long since I've been outto admire and photograph a sunrise (been staying up too late at night). It's such an inspirational time of day for me.

The colors of the Gorman hills are normallytherather bland yellowish/brown of dead grass, but they come alive in the early morning and late afternoon when the sunlight is kind to them. The fact that a fire had burned through the area over a year ago, leaving the blackened trunks of bushes to contrast with the grass, along with the reflections in the ponds makes for satisfying pictures, especially with the wide angle lens.

The hills (top of the I-5 Grapevine for those that know California)are often covered with awesome wildflowers in the spring - I had hoped that this past spring would be good but there wasn't enough rain last year. We've had more this year, with some snow already, so I have my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, then I'll have competition - instead of being the only one on a lonely road, I'll have to battle for a parking spot. The last time we had an awesome display, I took the Jeep up a dirt road in the National Forest not far fromGorman,and found just as awesome a display, along with the solitude I wanted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:05 PM   #9

Terific series, Harriet. No 10 is clearly my favorite with 3 a close second. I like the composition in 13 - a few less riffles on the water and it would have been perfect (not that you had any control over that). Composition, Sillhouettes and sky colors in 5 are superb, but IMO I can't see that the wires (especially the lowest one) add anythnig but a distraction. I realize that you wanted the water in the foreground of 6,7,and 8 - the lighting on the hillsides is wonderful, but there is too much shadow in the foreground for my tastes - cropping the bottomup to the water in 6 & 7 and just above it in8 would I think improve them, although you would lose the water in 8. I can't tell exactly where the bottom is in #3, but I think I would crop the bottom just above the smallest pond on thebottom right- lowering the horizon gives more impact to the expanse of the sky with its colors (the "rule or thirds" would work well in this one and in 7, too).

Keep up the good work. I think this will be a better year for wildflowers where you are, too - you are getting good practice nowwith that lens, so you will be ready. It won't be too long.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:11 PM   #10

Very well done, I like them all and can't pick a favorite.

Wacky roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote