Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:00 PM   #1

Hello All,

I photographed today and yesterday a white Coot. Normally these white (or almost white animals) are not living that long. One reason is they are not that healthy (but htis on is for sure) and these are easier to catch by there predators.

But this one is 2 years old and is now here for some weeks in the winter. I missed him last year (didn't had a big lens) but now I nailed him / her .

it is very difficult to get close and his / her colors as we know are difficult to shoot.

regards Walter
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:43 PM   #2

Very interesting - all I've ever seen are the black American Coots, which are slightly different than yours. As usual, your photos are awesome, thanks for sharing them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:09 PM   #3

Hi Walter,

We don't get that many Coots in my area, and the few I've seen pretty much all have looked the same.

Do your "normal" Coots all have the same pale colored plate that extends up from the beak to the forehead? The American Coots have a red one.

Although I have a few shots of them, I've never been able to get really good ones -- they always seem to be in the water, and they usually don't let me get anywhere near them.

The most unusual shot was when one accidentally (I assume) caught a large crappie in its beak. There was no way that it could swallow it, even if it really wanted to. . . and the Coot let it go after a little while.

A very nice capture of what I assume is a very unusual specimen!

Is that its foot in the first shot? Looks unproportionately big. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:23 PM   #4

Good captures all. I like the third one the best. The shallow DOF in the first one in the foreground I find distracting though. Is this a PP effect or from the acutal shot?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:01 PM   #5

Beautiful Walter...But your photos always are!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:06 PM   #6

walter, thanks,
all i've ever seen is the black am. coot. we have WAY too many here.. in white, these are a nice looking bird..

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:02 AM   #7

@snostorm: yes our coots are haviong only that pale color, and yes in the first picture you see his foot. And it is indeed very big.

@vIZnquest:that isno PP. I was laying at the ground and didn't came high enough :roll:
ToXiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:25 PM   #8

This coot is an abnormal white (leucistic) individual. Some would incorrectly call it a "partial albino" (there is no such thing). It is not an albino, which would have a complete lack of pigment - this one has some dark feathers, as well asnorrmal iris pigmentation which albinos lack. It is probably the result of a naturally occuringgenetic mutation associated with pigment expression, and can occur in any species of animal or bird. White canaries, ducks, chickens and turkeys are bred with this or a similar mutation. White rabbits with pink eyes are true albinos.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote