Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:30 PM   #1

This is my first real birding outing. On my way home from the beach the wind dropped so I decided to stop at the pond and try to shoot some birds. I know these shots aren't great but with all the bird shots I'm seeing I figured that I'd share mine too. These were taken with the 10D and a Kilfitt 300mm lens handheld.

When I got to the pond I looked around and after a few minutes I saw this guy (which I think is a Black Crowned Night Heron)

I took a bunch of shots of the Heron and then this Hawaiian Coot showed up. I found the Coot very difficult to photograph, and although he came close, I didn't get any really good shots. Any recommendations on how to best shoot this bird?

Then the Coot swam over towards the Heron and was catching and eating fish. I was surprised that the heron seem oblivious. This one was shot at 1/90s and surprisingly came out reasonable.

I was about to leave because it was getting too dark. But then I noticed another Heron, so I bumped the iso and got this shot.

I made a little slideshow that includes a few more shots here .

I'm anxious to get the bigma and monopod so that I can get closer and have sharper pictures. I'm waiting till next week to make sure pentax doesn't surprise me with something that might make me change my mind.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:32 PM   #2

I like your heron shots - coots are hard to capture at the best of times. Yours is not bad, but a bit soft (so often mine are, too). Hope someone can give you some advice - I could use it too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Yeah, the coot is very difficult. I probably need to experiment with different lighting as I can't seem to get good exposure on the white head and black feathers. I want to get closer to the heron but that will require getting wet (or longer lens), as there isn't much room to walk around on land.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote