Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:12 AM   #1

I haven't posted latly on this board so I thought that I would start up a conversation with my fellow Pentaxian.

Now that Pentax has dropped the ball on two new camera, the K20D and the K200D who is planning to upgrade from there current camera?

If so which one?

If so when?

Why? Why not?

What gear(s) are you planning to buy this year?

What are you plans for photography this year?

Since I started this post I will start first. Right now I have the K100D and it is a great camera for what I am using it for. But I feel that I've out grown the camera. The camera that I wish to get is the K20D. I know the camera will be in the market around March of this year. I would love to get the camera on the first day that it comes out but I want see some reviews first before I buy it. Also I don't think I will have enough money until summer.

So far the only thing that I plan to buy this year is a new camera body. I have a good range of lens already and there are no lens that I need right now. The only lens that I might buy is the Sigma or Tamrom 70-300mm lens. I would love to have a high end telephoto lens but I don't want to live on ramon noodles for the rest of the year.

This year I hope to take more photos then last year. I must admit last year was one of the worst years for me as far as photography goes. I did not get out as much as I wanted to because a lot of events happened that year. This year I have a new car that will be able to take me to lands that my older cars can't get to. So I will take some more pictures this year.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2

I've been reading the flame wars all over the place and don't want to get into that here.

I'll just say that I was waiting for the announcement to decide what I was going to do next. The K20D sounds very good but not compelling enoughto upgrade yet so with the money I've been saving I bought a Bigma. I think the price will come down and I'll maybe pick up a K20 later in the year if that happens.
I have joined a photo club as a learning experience.

The nesting season is getting into full swing here and I plan on visiting some of the larger rookeries. Only thing wrong with that is I hate shooting in crowds.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3

Still learning my K10d-no plans this year for a different body-next will be a flash. Maybe the DA 35 2.8-the Limited lenses are amazing.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4

I'm totally undecided.

I have both the K10 and the K100. I'm not going to upgrade the K100 because the K200 is heavier and I don't need the weather sealing since I already have the K10. If I had the K100 only I might be attracted to the K200 because of it. So the K100 will be staying in my house until it dies.

If I were to upgrade at all (and I won't be doing it any time soon, that's for sure!) I'd change the K10 for the K20. The attractions for me would be the higher ISO capability (assuming they really are as clean as the samples posted on Pentax's site)/less noise possibility. I would like better AF, but that's not a make-or-break issue for me. I'd like to find out more about their dynamic range extension, and the dynamic range capabilities in general. As Scott said in another thread - better image quality is better image quality. That's my highest priority, rather than any bells and whistles.

In any case, I'll wait. Perhaps there will be a K20 under the Christmas tree next year.

As far as the lenses - this will be harder. There's so many I want (some old, some new, and "need" doesn't enter into it) but my budget can't handle them all. I'd like to actually handle both the DA*200 and DA*300 - the 200 would be more to the point for me since I have the A*300. But weather sealing and AF might be really nice, assuming the lens is as sharp and easy to handle as the A*300. I'll just keep my eye on them for the time being.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:25 PM   #5

I just ordered K10D: for $509 it was just too good of a deal to pass. Initially, I intended to wait for K20D to upgrade from my K100D, but that will either mean to get it at full price or wait a lot until the price gets decent. I figured I could get K10D now and eventually get K20D later for a better price (and resell K10D). Doing this will also give me a chance to get some better price on my current K100D.
My main motivator is that 6MP is not enough anymore: I started selling photos and people are willing to pay more for higher resolution not to mention that cropping allows me have more to sell.

What I did not see so far from K20D are low ISO images taken with a prime, i.e. the best it can do.

Now I should have more money left for some good lenses.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6

Well i wont upgrade. I am able to capture great images with my k100D and rather than throw money into a new camera i do not need i will get a new tv, lens (17-50 2.8 Tamron) and already just got a new mountain bike. Got to draw the line somewhere i suppose

I plan to combine cycling with photography this year which is why i got my self a better bike (Specialized Rockhopper) so i am a very happy bunny.

The new tv will be a thin big Sony so i can show friends my pics in style

Well thats my plans and i will not doubt be poor by end of year !:-)

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:37 PM   #7

I just upgraded, ordered a k1od. The price of the k20d will be too much for me and new features are not that important for me at the moment. It should be a huge step up for me form *ist DL to k10d. Very excited.

tdotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:29 PM   #8

in 2008 i predict that i will add the following to my camera bag:

pentax da* 16-50mmor tamron 17-50mm - this will be my kit lens upgrade, been wanting one for a while.

pentax da* 300mm - i've always wanted a F or FA 300mm prime, if this lens is a performer i will add it.

pentax fa 31mm limited - this will complete my fa limited lens collection. i've decided i need to sell my fa 35mm and da 40mm limited once i get this lens to help offset the cost of this acquisition.

if i am really good this year... i'd like to get the sigma apo dg ex 500mm f/4.5! too many factors in this so i don't know for sure. have to wait to find out who is going to be in the white house next year first.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:30 PM   #9

I'm still shooting with my *ist DL, which still works perfectly.

I will upgrade this year though, to what and how soon will depend on whether or not I can find a part-time job to combine with my studies. I'd like to get the K20D, as I'm getting more seriously into this hobby. Using the DL for 2 years taught me the basics and more. Now I'm ready to go further.

I'll probably get it around june or july. hopefully by then the price will have gone down by 100 euros or so...

I'm keeping the DL too though. 6MP has its advantages, like a great ISO 800.
+ If I'm going on a trip abroad, there's no way I'm taking over 1000 euros of equipment. The DL + tamron 28-200mm stays my travel combo.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 1:47 PM   #10

For me it's the K20D, upgrading from my lovely DS. Before June, it'll be. South Africa. Zebras. Rhinos. Elephants. Mmmmm... My DS is actually worn, and needs a service, but for sure I'll keep it for flash photography (TTL!).

Since I can't really afford the K20D, I think that will be it for this year. But... Harriet, if you decide on the DA* 300, send me a suggestion for the A*300.

I'd also need a screen calibration device, and a newer car, and a new computer, and a bigger house, and a...

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote