Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:06 AM   #1

Now that I have a flashgun that supports wireless P-TTL and am planning to buy a camera that has wireless P-TTL support, I'd like to know what I can do with it.

Does wireless P-TTL support HSS?
Can the camera transmit lens info with wireless P-TTL?
Can the camera use different channels for different flashes?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:59 PM   #2

Hi Jason,

I can only speak for the 540 FGZ at this time, because it's the only one I've really played with in wireless TTL mode, but it supports HSS wirelessly.

I don't think that any info from the lens is necessary to get reasonable exposures from wireless TTL, but I could be wrong here. . .

There are 4 channels available to prevent other cameras from firing your flash.

You can also control if and how much your camera mounted flash contributes to the exposure. A pretty cool system, even if it's not perfect. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:03 PM   #3

From my understanding (and it may not be accurate - I need to re-read the 540 flash manual again) the lens info doesn't get transmitted when you are using it in wireless mode - you have to set it on the flash (not difficult). I often just leave it at the wide angle since quite often I'm using the flash a little too close to my subject, and I want it diffused more than it would be if it were set to the actual lens focal length. The exposure information is transmitted.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4

The lens info is not sent to the flash because it's not needed. The only thing the flash gets is how long to stay lit. This is based on what the camera reads in the preflash.
rodeknyt is offline   Reply With Quote