Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:40 PM   #1

< in part>

LAS VEGAS--Pentax just announced its new flagship SLR camera, the K20D, but the Japanese company has plans on the drawing board for a higher-end class of camera in 2009.

On the Pentax roadmap for 2009, the SLR quality arrow jumps up "much higher" above the K20D--a bigger step up than the one from the K10D to the K20D--said John Carlson, Pentax's product manager for imaging systems.
"That would be a new category" of SLR for Pentax, he said, but was mum on further details.

But don't expect a full-frame Pentax, at least for the time being, Carlson said. Asked whether it was in the plans, he said, "At this point I would say no. The lenses are designed for the APS-C format," Carlson said. However, he qualified his remarks with a disclaimer: "What will happen in two years? Who knows."

reveals that a new, higher-end camera should be enroute sometime in 2009 and will be considered the first fully professional camera from Pentax.

< more at the links>

..... I think that Pentax will be around for quite a while, using the APS-C.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2

i'd bet on a 645D entering their lineup.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:35 AM   #3

i'd bet on a 645D entering their lineup.
That would make sense, build on the reputation and professional market segement they were a major player in.

There must be few pro photographers with a collection of lenses for the 645 who would a love a digital body to use them on.
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote