Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:04 AM   #1

According to the review by Imaging Resource, many of their shots taken during their review of the K10, have densely packed horizontal lines that, according to them, reveal a peculiar error in the K10D's pixel mapping software, and illustrates just how many pixels are marked bad on the typical high megapixel sensor. They add that in their opinion' they are pretty sure there's nothing unusual about the number of affected pixels on the Pentax sensor vs other sensors, but that it's more about how Pentax's software replaces a bad pixel when faced with horizontal lines of the right frequency.

The effect can be viewed here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...-maperror2.jpg

Furthermore, they go on to comment that it isn't a feature of the Samsung GX10.

As I'm in the market to upgrade shortly, I'd like to hear from budding K10 users if they have experienced this.

I can live with 'soft' JPEGs.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:08 PM   #2

Owning mine about four months now, I haven't witnessed such an issue! Might be a QC issue, in which case you can have Pentax replace the faulty copy with a new one. I had a sensor misalignment issue and had them replace it with a brand newone in perfect condition!

As for soft JPegs: blah blah...I also have a D40x backupwhich is likely to remain a back up unless I need sth to run with hurrying to work ; )

You may seethe comparative crops clicking the following link:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=584657&forum_id=58&page= 2

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:43 PM   #3

Never noticed anything like that with mine. I have one of the very early K10s and notice vertical banding at 1600, but never anything that looks like this. I wonder if it's because I shoot mostly raw and use Lightroom to convert them (I know that at one point I saw a stuck pixel when I was shooting a series in jpg, but had forgotten about it).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:03 AM   #4

Hi IW,

It looks like it's real, and I shoot a great majority of shots in jpeg, relying on the in-camera processing, with lot of fine detail editing of my pics in PP, and haven't really seen this. Granted, shooting birds doesn't capture a whole lot of horizontal lines with densely packed pixels. . .

How seriously do you truly feel this "problem" will effect your images? The sample was a 200% crop, so you would see it at this size on about a 38"x26" print at 200DPI (more than enough resolution for printing -- most agree that the average human can't really tell the difference above @ 160 DPI) -- and that's if you just print straight from the file. Also, you'd pretty much have to be viewing this very large print from normal computer/monitor viewing distances of 1.5-2.5 feet to see the fault this clearly, which isn't realistic, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the fact that these reviewers try to find the tiniest faults with any camera -- that's their job, and for the most part, they do it well. Where they fail,IMO is when they stress a fault they found, but it's actually more a matter of technical minutia than something that might have any real impact on actual photographic images in real life. I think that is the case here.

You're the only one who can decide whether this is a significant enough fault to prevent you from buying -- I do think it's a concern for Pentax -- something that they should address in future models and as a minor throw-in fix included in a future firmware update for the K10, but it's just not relevant to the pics I take, and truthfully, I won't be able to tell the difference if they do fix it. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:21 AM   #5

Actually I believe one of the firmware upgrades adressed this issue! At least it was banding in dark areas...I've seen some of that before I upgraded the firmware but no lines of any kind that I can remember! The upgrades have been good ones so far and I recomend them to those that haven't upgraded!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote