Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:50 AM   #1

I took it for a walk today and I wanted to share my experience with you.

First of all: you really need a lens hood when shooting in bright sunlight, and I forgot to take it

Second: this lens is wide (obviously) but I mean really wide. you have to be carefull not to include your shadow or tripod legs in the picture. but it's great to be able to get nice foreground in your landscape

Third: it's quite soft at f22 and guess what: I did almost all my shooting at f22. some photos taken at f11 are very sharp, but f22 needs sharpenning

fourth: polariser simply doesn't work, FOV is way too wide to have nice, uniformly polarised sky. I'll try again later but I don't think it'll work.

now some photos. mostly handheld (at 10mm 1/40s comes out sharp), no filters, no sharpenning, slightly changed saturation. all exif should be there.

it's fun lens to use but I have to remember to stop shooting at f22 (bad habit from using K28mm which is very sharp at f22) and remember to pack lens hood.

any comments are welcomed

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:17 PM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow--you sure know how to exploit this lens! I particularly like the perpsectives in image no. 1 (great sense of depth), No. 5 (I like the way the eyes is drawn along the fence to the rear of scene) and no 7 (text book use of the rule-of-thirds). #7 is my favorite! The way the sky looks, it looks like a polarizing filter was indeed in use. Very nice. I need to get out more with my Pentax 10-17 (fish eye)!

Nicely done!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:29 PM   #3

Interesting lens, but there's a talented photographer involved also. #3 and #8 are my favourites, but I'm choosing between gold nuggets here.

I'm having my radarup for a very short prime ~10mm, but this might be an alternative.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 4:50 PM   #4

Cool shots! Really like the last one.

I have the same lens and I have no urge to go F22 with it. F11 is the most I go for when hand held.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the polarizer (and saving me the expense). OTOH, I might get some neutral gradient one day.

Have fun with it. And try some portraits: http://www.platonphoto.com/portraits...ics/index.html
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 5:01 PM   #5

thanks for kind words.

I've wanted to get wideangle lens for a while now but I was put off any other short lens due to fisheye effect which I don't like. this one has only slight barrel distorsion at 10mm which I think is amazing.

I was very surprised that the sky came out so dark on those photos without polariser.

I tried polariser couple times today (Cokin P filter held by hand in front of the lens) but I didn't like the effect. I'll try again with some clouds in the sky next time, but I seriously doubt it usefulness.

only one drawback I can think of now: I need Cokin X-Pro holder and ND grad for that wide angle but they are way beyond my financial reach now, which means blending couple photos in PS when necessary. and I don't really like doing that, not to mention I'm not that good at it .

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:46 PM   #6

Very nice set of photos! I have the DA 12-24 and also found that the lens hood, properly mounted, is important outside.However, whileI found that the sky isn't as consistent with a polarizer, it still gives reasonable effects (I used one when I shot the snow pictures I posted a while ago. I ended up converting them to b&w mainly because I thought they were too blah in color).

I'll have to try mine out at smaller apertures - because it has such a big DOF, I haven't been that interested in using anything much smaller than f8 or f11. I haven't found out extactly where it starts getting soft.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:00 AM   #7

Love the vertical landscapes, I really need a wide lens.

Great work.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 9:39 PM   #8

Very nice shots Greg. Like Ira, a wide angle zoom is on my short list of lenses to buy and I appreciate every post/example I can get.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:02 AM   #9

Really nice set....I love photos like these.

I'm also in the market for a Wide lens and I am trying to determine whether the Pentax 12-24 is worth the extra money over the Sigma 10-20. Seeing those pictures is making me lean towards the Sigma....

Nice One
markmorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:43 AM   #10

I need an ultrawide, but for the limited amount of use it would get it is taking a back seat to other hardware right now.

I love the sharpness of my Pentax 17mm (M42) lens and want to find a ultrawide for my DSLR that is as sharp, with the same contrast, which is another reason that has kept me from investing in one.

Nice shots without a lot of distortion that you notice.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote