Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:31 PM   #11

I think its interesting how many people put such emphasis on blown out highlights on a picture. To many, that's a kiss of death. And when you think about it, if you have two similar pictures, one with a small blown out spot vs. one that is perfect - the perfect one is going to get the nod in photo competition, especially where technique is emphasized. It doesn't mean that one can't still enjoy the picture or that it isn't a good shot. It just means that its not the best.

I like your first one (it's very much my kind of picture and I would have been happy to have taken it), but do think that it won't stand a chance.

My favorite one is the second one, but when its reduced that small, it makes it look almost like it's a bit soft. I don't think the fishing rod is really soft, I think it has more to do with the resizing. The reason its my favorite is that I love the color (I love sunsets and sunrises) as well as the atmosphere. But I can (again) see why it might not be chosen - while I love looking at scenes like this, I wonder if judges I don't get rather jaded about them (but what do I know - the only time I've ever submitted anything anywhere was here, last week). Wouldn't they go for something more unusual, perhaps dynamic?

The third one does seem to be the most interesting/different/dynamic (or whatever you want to call it). It would be the one that I would guess would have the most chance - but what do I know? I have no experience with this type of thing at all!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:11 AM   #12

I've been lucky enough to get 3 images accepted into the PPG.

Don't get discouraged if your submissions keep getting rejected. Since those initial 3 images, I've been unable to get more accepted, but will keep trying.

Shameless plug: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/ho...=0&language=EN

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:06 AM   #13

I've submitted about 10 pictures so far and had none accepted....my goal is also to get at least one picture accepted this year.

Well done to all you guys who have already had submissions accepted I'm off to have at look at what you posted so that I can see where I'm going wrong...

markmorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:32 AM   #14

I have submitted 8 and all 8 declined/rejected. The reason" artistic interpetation"

I am still trying to figure out what they meant??? No More from me are going to be submitted.

Four were shot with a Pentax lens and four were shot with a Sigma lens.

This was one of them shot with a Pentax lens.

Attached Images
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:44 AM   #15

superakuma wrote:

Has anyone submitted there photos to the Pentax Photo Gallery(ppg)? I just signed up last night and submitted 3 photos to them.
The 3 photos that I submitted where 3 photos that that I really liked.

My goal this year is to get at least ONE photo in the gallery. I know it would be a long shot because they have soo many greats photos in the gallery. But is worth the shot and there is no harm done besides the feeling of being rejected.

Well here are the 3 shots that I sent over. Feel free to leave a comment, good or bad. Don't be afraid to tell what is "wrong" with the picture and how I can improve on it.

"Big Wheels"

This may be a daft question, but where do you sign up to submit pics to this gallery?

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16

Dal1970 wrote:

This may be a daft question, but where do you sign up to submit pics to this gallery?

Hi Dal,

Go to the Photo Gallery:

move your mouse over "Site Tools", and click on the "Contact Us" that drops down. You'll have to supply name and email addy, and they'll send you an invitation.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:46 PM   #17

I've just looked at Jason and Scott's pictures - with quality like that, I don't think I'm likely to submit anything there any time soon. These are incredible (and I know where Jason took at least one of his pictures) and while I've taken some nice pictures, they don't in any way match up to these.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:41 PM   #18

I've been in there a while.

I got the first ones in before the voting started. I've submitted 3 since then. One got accepted, one declined and one still in review. The one in review is the dock scene from last months challenge.

Here is MY shamless plug!:-)

I usually only submit one at a time. So many people seem to unload their harddirve on there! That and several different views of the same scene. Some of the images in the gallery are unbelieveably good! Well worth browsing through and checking out!

I just removed the terrible self portrait I had on there.LOL It was a doozy!

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 3:54 PM   #19

ishino wrote:
superakuma wrote:
I wonder if any Pentaxian on THIS board that got accepted?
What don't I count?

Haha, Sorry, I should of read your post more carefully.

It seems that there are a few on this board that got accepted already. That is good to hear that there are so many talented people on this board.

My image are still being reviewed I hope I will get the answer within tonight.
I got to vote on some of the image that others have sent in. Some where really good and some were ehhh. I thought that it was funny that someone uploaded a lot of pictures of the same sunset. I most of voted on at least 20 of the same image shot within 5 minutes.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:47 PM   #20

It is not Pentax specific but there is a similar site, www.onexposure.netthat I have submitted a few shots to. I like the fact that there italso has a forum for feedback on shots that were not accepted. The bar is set pretty high there also and some of the feedback can be blunt but it has been an opportunity for me to learn.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote