Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:49 PM   #1

Last time we had a lunar eclipse there was a good thread with shots from different countries and continents. The next total lunar eclipse is Feb 20th, it will be the last one visible from the Americas until 2010.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:51 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up.

Eclipses are more difficult to shoot than it looks. Approaching totality, there isn't any light left so it's manual all the way!
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:22 PM   #3

I'll give it a try again. Last time I tried the pictures were horrible.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:51 PM   #4

Having shot the lunar eclipse last August, I found out that unless you have your camera mounted on a tracking device, you need to limit your exposures to no longer then about 1-2 seconds. Any longer and you will get elongated stars and a blurry moon if you are using a telephoto.

I was using my DA50-200mm. The best time to catch the maximum color is at mid-totality, which will be at 7:26 Pacific time. So get your tripod out and give it a try. I found it was not hard using my light meter to get a proper exposure, but you may want to bracket your shots to be safe.

My mistake last time was letting my exposures get to long and Ididn't realize it. So use a tripod and keep your exposures 1 second or so, even if you need to up the ISO. Luckily the totality last over 50 minutes, so you have time to practice. This time I'm going to set my speed at 1 sec and myISO at 400 and see how it goes. I can alwaysgo to ISO 800 and still have pretty good pictures.

You guys with the bigma's, this is a real opportunity, but you may need to shoot at 1/2 second or less. You don'tnotice the blur until you get them on the computer later. They actually look out of focus. The earth spins faster then you think, especially at 500mm. The small star in the upper left is actually the planet Jupiter. Good luck everyone and clear skies- Bruce

Update - My mistake, the star is not Jupiter, just a star.

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:07 PM   #5

Just a reminder, the eclipse is tonight. Totality starts at 7:00 Pacific Time, with mid eclipse at 7:26 (best time to take pictures). I'm going to be busy with our local astronomy club showing the eclipse to the public (expecting 200+)through mytelescope, so will not get time to take pictures. So hope you guys get some good ones. We plan to have 6-8 telescopes set up for the event.

As a side note, the infamous spy satellite makes a pass overhead at 6:05 pm, if they have not shot it down. At magnitude 1.6, it should be very visible- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:26 PM   #6

We have it to, for about 50 minutes. And cloudy weather...

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:45 PM   #7

Clouds here, too... :roll:and since I have to get up early tomorrow I won't set my alarm clock this night.

I'll wait for the nice shots other people do and enjoy those!

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:57 PM   #8

We've had perfectly clear weather for the last 2 weeks and now it is raining! Guess we'll have to wait till 2010!

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:20 PM   #9

It's going to be clear and very cold here (single digits w/15-20 mph winds). I think I'll watch, but I probably won't shoot it.

I did get lucky and was able to capture the front end to totality (before the clouds rolled in) back in 2004 with a Panny FZ15 + a Tcon17, and made a collage, so anyone that hasn't seen one -- this is what you can expect to see. Pretty spectacular, IMO

Sorry in advance about the Panny pic. . . :O

Attached Images
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote