Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:23 PM   #1

I have a little something that I think could be interesting. What I would like to see is for people to post who inspires them the most when it comes to their photography. However, there are a couple of rules…
  1. No famous photographers. Ansel Adam's is great, but I am looking for other non-famous photographers who's work you have seen that made you go "wow, I want to take photos that look like that."[/*]
  1. They have to have an online gallery and you have to include the url so that we can all take a look.[/*]
  1. Explain what it is about the person's images that you like and why they inspire you.[/*]
So let's see what happens.

Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:24 PM   #2

So since this is my idea I will get us started. I am very inspired by the infrared photography of Israel Fichman. His gallery is at:
These beautiful infrared images are very well exposed even in the skies, they are nicely framed and the tones and colors are soothing and overall I find the images almost mystical. I especially like the ships cemetery gallery which is actually kind of sad.
Since the K10D isn't very good for infrared I will have to wait until I can get a camera that is more suitable. Infrared is defiantly something I want to play with. Besides that Israel's gallery inspires me to frame my images better and work harder on perfecting my exposures so that everything is well exposed.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:01 AM   #3

From time to time my wife sells some of her collectibles on eBay. Awhile back a Canadian customer purchased an item and in their communications with us included their URL. Turns out they are nature photographers. This URL is a gallery from their book on Antartica. I get very interested in photographs of places I've never been. I was inspired by their compositions of this place.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:01 AM   #4

Your right some really lovely stuff. I like the one on page 4 with the penguines on the barial mound with the cross. It is almost apocolyptic, last man on earth buried by the penguines. Very Nice.

Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:31 AM   #5

Well, I would have to say that Wacky Roger has been quite an inspiration. His nature and train photography set the bar pretty high. Its not just his pictures that do that, its the time and energy he spends to get into the position to take the picture. Very seldom do great pictures just happen. It takes a lot of forethought and planning to get them. Roger does the little things that take "good" a step higher.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6

W. Eugene Smith
Alfred Eisenstaedt
Robert Capa
Margret Burke-White
are some of my favs

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7

I'm not educated at all in this field. My inspiration is pretty much contained in this very forum.

Tom/TDN - for concerts and street candids

Tom/Ennacac - for birding and other nature

Roy/Robar - for macro and general "it's gotta be possible"

Daniel/danielchtong - for coming up with new fields to explore all the time. And for concern for the person behind the camera as well.

Ira/Monza76 - for approach and attitude, and some landscaping. And an icicle.

Harriet/Mtngal - for flowers and the eye for the fun and different

Ed/Bigdawg - for persistence

Rick/Rickst - for fog and dew

and all, mentioned or not mentioned - for sharing all miscellaneous subjects and keeping this a worthwile place to come back to, and honouring me by watching my pictures and commenting on them. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 4:55 PM   #8

Well, I totally agree with Kjell. I don't visit many other places besides here and the biweekly challenge on Steve's. (Although, I have been trying to expand on my vists other places lately.) The members of this group are my inspiration. You inspire me to try new things andchallenge me to improve.

I would like to add Thanh and Kjell to Kjell's list having just checked out the links for Kjell's images from 2006 and Thanh's on the "amazing artist".

Thank you all.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:26 PM   #9

Making me blush again Kjell

For me definitely the people on various forums like these too. This is where you learn everything as a beginner, without sitting trough classes and spending a fortune.

Some photographers:

The "wannabes" (they actually call themselves that way ), Belgian concert photographers. They put out some amazing work. http://wannabes.be/
They're always nice people to talk to in the frontstage aswell.

Chema Madoz. Very inspiring Spanish photographer, gives new meaning to thinking "out of the box": http://www.chemamadoz.com/gallery1.htm?

Artur Eranosian. A young Belgian photographer and friend of mine. Only 17 but already highly respected among the Belgian photo-community, and probably destined to become a great name worldwide one day.
Check out his older street scenes in particular. (He's experimenting more with journalism nowadays)

Only a few of the great talent that can be found online.

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:47 AM   #10

I think Kjell has it nailed for me also.

I would add that Daniels use of the fisheye, and his fashion shoots are also great inspirations.

And Roger for his superb wildlife shots, and his sense of humour.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote