Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 22, 2008, 4:14 PM   #11

No complaints with the white balance here. I leave it on auto and adjust to manual setting if shooting under tungsten lights. It would be nice to leave it on auto all the time. If I forget to switch I can adjust later. Since I've never used another DLSR I have nothing to compare the performance to.
bruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:41 AM   #12

I had two Kodak P & S cameras before my ist DL and both did really well with tungsten lights. The DL does not, so I am assuming it is a problem with all Pentax cameras. It just seems strange that if it can bedone right, why didn't they do it right?Howeverits reallythe onlything about the camera that causes a slight blood pressure rise!

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:19 AM   #13

I am yet to use K10D extensively, but I noticed that AWB misses even more when doing snow scenes. I could not believe how blue some shots came out. Setting it on Cloudy took care of the issue. I find it a bit less predictable than K100D which I knew exactly before hand that it won't be able to handle certain scenes. K10D seems a bit erratic. Hope that this is isolated.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 7:52 AM   #14

Hi DA,

For all of my snow pics, I use a Polarizer. It works well on my istD using auto balance.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:36 AM   #15

I've never had a camera that handled snow pictures correctly all the time - I always take them in raw and plan on adjusting them later. I also have trouble with the exposure - because if you are shooting in snow/sunlight you'll get underexposed shots, while you'll get correctly exposed shots in the shade and I forget to change the Ev settings when the conditions change. If I have the picture correctly exposed, there seems to be less of the blue tint. But that's held true for any of the cameras I've had - the only one that seemed able to compensate was the Panny FZ30's "snow" mode - it was the only scene setting I found on that camera that was really useful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote