Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:37 PM   #1

We finally slowed down enough for me to go through pictures I've taken over the past 2 months, but hadn't quite gotten around to processing. Since this month's challenge is trees, I kept an eye out for any that I thought might be better than the sunset picture I posted. Not sure I found anything better, but found a large number that had trees or parts of trees in them. I won't post them all here, but if you are interested, they are at: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/p97772184...7299#681603737.

Early morning:

I've posted other pictures of this building. While it gives you a feeling of a castle, it was originally built as a student center.

This one probably should be cropped closer - I did that at first but didn't like it as well as I do this one. I can't tell you why, it's probably all wrong to leave so much black around the image, but that's just my opinion.

Another early morning shot:

This is a "tree" in name only. From what I understand, it was named by Mormon pioneers, who thought it looked like Joshua reaching his arms up to the sky.

I can't decide if I like this picture or not - some times I like it, other times I don't. I'd be interested in what others think about it. The stump is a burned stump, you can see the blackened bark.

This is a typical view around where I live. It's not quite spring around here.

Another picture of those cherry blossoms. I wasn't aiming at the blossoms though.

There are a couple of other hummingbird pictures in the album. They are the best ones I've managed so far - I don't have a feeder, so was just lucky with these (taken with the K10 and the DA*50-135).

And here's one of the closeup/macros - I like the color of the leaf:

A tree in an urban environment:

All of the pictures in the album were either taken near where I work, or not that far from where I live (the Joshua tree was taken yesterdayin the Antelope Valley, not far from the Poppy Reserve). I have way too much trouble deciding which ones to post, and as usual, probably posted more than I should have.

All were taken with the K10, using various lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:46 PM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Gorgeous early morning lighting--a good combination of the emerging daylight as well as the incandencent lighting on the streets/buildings images 1 through 4.

The one of the humming bird is stunning! I've taken my share of hummer pics, but mostly at a feeder. You are fortunate to have capturedone at a flower.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:12 PM   #3

I love all of these, but my favorite is #2, you probably could crop it a bit, but I wouldnt do it much, The black adds something to the final picture.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:27 PM   #4

I agree with Terry. All are lovely. But, I especially like the second one. And, agree on the cropping. Maybe just a little, but leaving the dark almost makes a border around the photo.

And, I'm jealous of the magnolias already blooming. We won't see ours until the first week in May.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:42 PM   #5

Very nice series.

I like the hummingbird very much!

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:18 PM   #6

They are very nice, but I like number 3 the best.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:35 AM   #7

Great series,

nr1 is the winner for me - just like the lighting.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:31 AM   #8

rhermans wrote:
Great series,

nr1 is the winner for me - just like the lighting.

1, 2 and 3 Harriet....# 1 and #3 remind me of Thomas Kincaid paintings.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:57 PM   #9

Thanks for the complements - the funny thing about the third one is that the first time I saw it, I was disappointed in it. I don't remember why I thought that, I think the focus wasn't quite where I wanted it to be perhaps. That's why it was still hanging around in Lightroom - I hadn't done anything with it (or most of the other pictures I took that day). When I looked at it this past weekend, I really liked the lighting and color.

I guess I should dislike the b&w stump reflection picture - no one has said anything about it. That's OK - I haven't been sure about it either.

Hope you don't mind if I ask for responses to one more. It has at least one major fault in my opinion, but wonder if it's distracting enough to take significantly away from what caught my eye - all of the various angles and lines. Or are there too many odd lines to make it agood picture? If I ever get a K20, I'll try to re-shoot it and see if I can do better, but think this is as good as I'm going to get with the K10.

Thanks for any feedback.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:19 PM   #10

Oh, what a series!

#1 I'd love to study or teach in such an environment. The management should pay you for this propaganda.

#2 Nice composition - with the black!

#3 Magnolias - aaah. What a sign of spring! The lighting makes the picture very special.

#4 For the flip side of the brochure.

#5 I'm not sure, would like to see it as a print since I think it needs a sharpness that my screen can't deliver.

#6 I understand your feelings about this picture, it's confusing. Just because of that it's worth to look at over and over.

#7 And now - the larch. The l a r c h. (I know it's not a larch, but that sketch is what immediately comes to my mind.) One would expect that it's pretty difficult to find a tree in your area after all the brush fires the last years.

#8 A wonderful picture, and an amazing achievement to get a hummershowing it's natural behaviour.

#9 If there is a photo contest on water drops, you'll be the winner before it starts. Lovely colour combination.

#10 Another lovely colour combination with the brown/orange and the blue. And the contrast between stright lines and the irregularity of thetree makes a very nice composition.

#11 I see what you're after, and I think youachieve it. I'd like to see a version with strightened perspecitive at the right end. The high contrast doesn't bother me, I think it adds to the picture.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote