Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 14, 2008, 2:14 AM   #1

Hi All,

Tried shooting with the K20 and Tamron SP300/2.8 with the Tam 140F 1.4x TC + the P F 1.7x AFA. I'm also trying different in-camera settings, and this time it was Natural, 0 Sharp, O Hue, -4 Contrast, -4 Saturation. Don't ask why -- I'm experimenting with some wierd ideas

All were PP'd with an initial sharpening with Focus Magic at 1-2 pixels,75%, then resized down with PSPXI bicubic 80% in steps until I reached 800 pix on the long side. If I saw the details smooth out too much (they're going to smooth out some no matter what you do) after a resizing step, I backed up a step and resharpened with PSPXI High Pass Sharpening at radius=1 and strength=30, then continued resizing down. After resizing, I did another pass with HPS before saving to a new file name. This is still a work in progress, but I like how these turned out.

Juvenile Northern Cardinal Portrait -- the first pink one that I've noticed -- most are orangish and a lot brighter.

Squirrel Portrait -- pretty fat -- it seems to have been busy scavenging whatever drops from the feeders.

Tree Sparrow. Shows the thin DOF of this combo at @ f3.7 on the lens at close distances.

White-throated Sparrow. This is at about twice the distance as the feeder, same aperture.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:14 AM   #2

Lovely portraits of birds! With such a great detail!
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:33 AM   #3

I would be proud of these too, great shots. and thanks for sharing the settings.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 2:52 PM   #4

Those are great! Thanks for posting them.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote