Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:05 AM   #1

While I think this is one of the better photos I have taken, I've seen a couple of things that I thought I could have done better/differently.

So, what suggestions would you have that would made this a better photograph?

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:06 AM   #2

More foreground with the fence playing a bigger role and more building and less or no tree!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:41 AM   #3

Does it look better like this?

Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:55 AM   #4

You may have done this, I would take a number of photos of a subject like this at various focal lengths and angles. This gives you a chance to choose the best framing and angle of view to work with. On this photo I would open up the shadows a little in photoshop. Hope you do not mind, I tried it and this is my idea. You may not like it, I find the choices very personal and everyone is different. Please yourself first.

Attached Images
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:43 AM   #5

good advice on trying different angles and focal lengths. For me, the image is a bit too crowded - fence, tree, wheel, house. Too much in such a tight frame. So, either a wider shot with some more space or a tigher shot, highlighting less subjects. But that's a personal preference.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:15 PM   #6

Part of the problem I had taking this shot was.....

There was a construction crew on the site. There was a truck to the left just out of the picture and there were construction workers to the right just out of the photo. The area was roped off and I was asked to not step over the rope.

What I found wrong..

I probably should have used a polarizer as there is a bad glare from the roof which, I think, detracts from the entire shot.

My composition could have been better even with the limited are from which I had to shoot.

Next time, I will shoot it in RAW so that I can make some adjustments in saturation and contrast before I post/print.

Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:32 PM   #7

This scene looks like it has tremendous potential. Too bad the physical limitations are what they were.

This is something I'd like to shoot real early in the morning and wider as has been mentioned.

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:00 PM   #8

I agree with the comments looking for a wider shot. I look at the barn like structure and would prefer it to be complete rather than cut off. I don't think the roof is overexposed, I would just like a wider angle. I understand, though, that the construction crew was an obstacle preventing you from getting the shot you would have liked.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:08 PM   #9

i agree wider would have been better. for me, too many things fight to be the main subject of the photo as it really doesn't fell like a scene shot where they all fit in and flow together. the focal point is the end of the waterway but it leads me to the wheel and then to the fence and i'm all lost within the picture. i think in your circumstance i would have tried getting a little closer and shot over the wood fence and zoomed in on the wheel head on instead of at an angle. or maybe if you could have walked around to where you could see the entire side of the barn shown straight on and still show the waterway and wheel. but even then it's hard to say that would have come out well since i wasn't there. and remember we can always clone unwanted objects out of shots or take multiple shots and do a photomerge.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:28 PM   #10

The image is too cluttered, what is the point?

The blown highlights on the roof may be case for a graduated neutral density filter to darken that area and the bush background.

The fence in front does not seem to function as a leading line to point to the primary area of interest, rather it meanders in different directions sidetracking the viewers eye.

You mention access difficulties, a great pity as you have discoverd this this scene obviously has great photographic potential.

I would have tried to make more of the waterwheel and use the water race to lead the eye to the wheel and confirm it as the point of the photo.

I have to disagree with Dawg, I like the tree, it balances the dark wooden building. And there is the symetry of the source of the building material, trees, and their end use in the shed.

Of course all this is personal opinion and part of the attraction of photography is the richness of individual interpretations of any subject.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote