Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:11 AM   #1

My K20 came via UPS last night, and tonight I threw it right into the lists, with nearly a thousand shots at a girls/boys soccer doubleheader. Because the girls' match started before it was fully dark, we started with a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 Di LD at ISO 1250 shooting in Av mode.

(I should point out for the benefit of those who don't know me, my soccer shots are actually triggered by oneof my student managers after I set them up. Then I do the editing. It's kind of hard to be the shooter when you're the boys' coach.)\

First one taken at ISO 1250, f5.6, 1/800, No noise reduction.

Shot #2 was taken at ISO 2500, f5, 1/400

The final shot was taken with the Pentax DA*50-135mm after full darkness outside. Taken at f2.8, 135mm, and at ISO 6400. Noiseware was applied to this shot with the Portrait pre-set.

Shots were impressive....shutter problems were not. See thread I will post in the morning.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:10 AM   #2

Congrats on your new camera, Trojan! You've nailed the action in all three shots revealing the dynamism and struggle in the pitchThe colours and details are nicely preserved despite the dramatically increasing iso!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Hi Paul,

Very nice.

Here's a trick I've used in PPing the ISO 6400. I don't think that you'll be going beyond an 8x10 print for these shots, so this should work for you --

Try resizing/downsampling the shot down to about 1/2 the original resolution before applying the noise reduction. If Noiseware allows you to create a profile, profile the image at full resolution and save it (with filter settings that allow a little of the noise to remain), then resize the image down (to about 2300 pixels on the long side), apply the NR with the profile and settings created previously.

The resizing first has a few advantages: it "packs the pixels" -- (my term, probably not technically correct, but it works for me) smoothing the ragged edges caused by the noise -- and makes the file a lot smaller so the NR will take a fraction of the time required for processing the full resolution file. At 2300x1528, you'll still have enough resolution to get @ 200 DPI, even after cropping, for an 8x10 print.

I use Noise Ninja, so I don't know if Noiseware does the profile and settings savings, or how exactly it's done. Anyway it's a concept that you might be able to use (if you can understand my rather convoluted explanation). I actually add a little noise after the process to help keep the image from looking too smooth and "plastic".

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote