Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1

I am going to be in Chicago as a chaperone with my son's HS Jazz Band and we are going up the sears tower after dinner. I am looking for any tips on getting shots of the skyline at night. I have a K100d Super. I was thinking of getting one of those gorillapods to attach to the railing for longer exposures. I've never been to chicago or the sears tower but I have been told there is a waist high railing.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

scottp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:34 PM   #2

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that the skydeck has glass windows in addition to the railing so no one can possibly fall off.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:49 AM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Tom may be correct re. the glass windows, however if you finid a clean pane it should not affect the outcome too much.With the windows, your bigger problem is likely to be reflections from inside the observation deck.

Below is a picture I took with m Pentax Optio (point and shoot) out of the window of the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive looking NE towards the Sheraton. In order to avoid reflections from the glass, I held the front of the lens flush up against the window pane. While it restricted my shooting angle, it provided the stability to get the long exposure without using a tripod. No post processing except for cropping.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote