Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:23 PM   #1

Hi, I have a K10D and a Sigma 18-200 lens. I'm worried this won't be very good for my studio shoots. I usually use the Studio owners Canon so not sure which one to go for.
Should I go for a wider lens or is my 18-200 ok for the Studio?

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 5:20 PM   #2

If it were me, I'd get the Pentax FA 77 Limited - I'd love to own this lens. That particular Sigma makes a lot of compromises to have such a big range - I think you'd be better off with a prime for studio work. If you want a zoom I would probably go with the DA*50-135. I've been really happy with the lens (though it did backfocus with my particular K10 - it doesn't with my K20).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:28 PM   #3

unless you have lots of room, a 77mm might be a little too long. that's what i have found in my experience. the 43mm limited works really well for the space that i have and is my default portrait lens.

but if you have the space, the 77mm limited is a wonderful lens. though i tend to use mine mostly outdoors.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:20 AM   #4

I don't know a lot about studio work, but I do know a quality prime will besharper and easier to focusthan a zoom. The zoom is great when you need to move or adjust quickly, but in the studio you usually have a bit more time for set up and you can easily move the subject.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5

Hi Mark,

What kind of studio work are you doing? My daugther and I do a lot of kids, family and baby work in her studio and generally uses the 16-45 or the 18-55 handheld with studio strobes in umbrellas. I really like using an older F50mm f1.7. Again, this is mostly for portrait work. Sharpness is generally not an issue with any of these lenses and for individual portraits can even work against you a bit. On the other hand, for groups, even smal ones, sharpness but more importanty, DOF become more of an issue as the faces are rarely in the same plane. With the bacdrop a least 5-6 feet behind the subject, you get good sharp faces in a small group and sufficently OOF backdrop at f8-11 at 45mm-55mm. For head and shoulder shots, we tend to open up to 5.6-8 to soften it a bit but rarely go wider in the studio. Working distance for individual portraits at 50mm is about 4 ft and 6-8 or so with small groups which gives a nice perspective (no bulging features!) but is still comfortable.

MDW43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:45 PM   #6

I'll be doing photos of teenagers, parents, babies and a full day model shoot for a magazine.

So far it seems like I have a choice of these:
Sigma 30mm F/1.4 EX DC HSM (Worried this DOF is to shallow)

I already have this one:
Pentax SMC 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 DA AL

Do you think this would work ok as I'd rather not spend the money, but don't want to end up on the day with duff photos.

The photos will be taken against a white background so DOF is only important for making sure all the people are in the photo crisp and clear (will be mixtures of 1, 2 and 3)

Also doing a photoshoot for a clothes fashion company for a magazine soon!

greenphotos is offline   Reply With Quote