Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:07 PM   #1

These are purely test shots. They have no artistic, social or redeeming value/quality.

All are jpg 14.2MP, natural setting and no pp, other than cropping, has been done.

55mm ISO 800 f/5.6 1/4000

300mm ISO 800 f/5.8 1/4000

heavy crop

300mm ISO 800 f/5.8 1/4000

Heavy Crop

300mm ISO800 f/5.8 1/4000

Heavy Crop

I tried to take shots that were wide open at the long end in an attempt to expose any PF problems.

The IQ and resolution from the lens looks pretty good and, unless my old eyes deceive me, there is no Purple Fringing.

All were taken hand held which is why the ISO is so high.

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:03 PM   #2

They look pretty outstanding to me! The 55mm shot of the building looks a bit soft, but that could be caused by a number of factors, and the other two 55mm shots are very sharp. All of the 300mm shots and your crops are very impressive, especially for a lens that's considered "consumer" grade, covers such a big zoom range and isn't that expensive. It's going to be harder and harder to justify fixing my broken 50-200, when you post results like that. It would be nice to have a fairly lightweight zoom in that range.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:53 PM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Ditto here...sharpness is very impressive for a lens with such a zoom range. This might be the walk around lens to own! By the way, I have to disagree with you on the comment re. the lack of any redeeming value in your pictures!!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:13 PM   #4

Hi Eddy,

Looks like there's a new sheriff in town as far as the xx-300 consumer zooms are concerned, and with a wider zoom range too! I'm very impressed. It may be pricier than the Tamrons and Sigmas, but I'd say that it's worth it.

Congrats on what looks like a great addition to your lens collection.

BTW, these shots are a quite a bit better than any "test" shots I've ever taken. . .:-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:21 PM   #5

I don't know that I am in the market for another 300mm zoom but I always like looking at test/comparison shots and it looks like Pentax has brought out a good competitor in that market.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote