Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 16, 2008, 1:18 PM   #1

Hi All,

I haven't posted much lately, due to new computer setup issues. These aren't really high IQ shots, but okay considering the conditions. Shot on a grey day, K20, FA*300/4.5 +F 1.7x AFA, wide open, 1/100, ISO 320, handheld from about 30 ft (10m). The Redstart is a pretty tough capture because they're small (small sparrow size), very frantically active, and not all that commonly seen, though far from rare. Neat looking bird though. . . I used CAF since he was so fast, and I just couldn't get a focus lock with SAF (there was barely enough light, and it didnt' help that I was a bit shakey), so I switched to CAF and took my chances on whether they might be in focus. These were cropped and processed pretty heavily.

I heard these guys honking, announcing that they were on track for a landing, so I bumped up the ISO to 800, pre-focused the FA*300 to @ 40 ft, and tried to get them in the VF. This is the best of about 5 shots since I got all three in the frame. Same camera/lens as above, 1/2500, f8 (wide open). Cropped a bit and minimally processed, mostly for CA.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 2:01 PM   #2

Both pictures are wonderful! I love your little Restart, he's so cute.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:03 PM   #3

I can't wait to see the Redstarts up here. I've never been able to photograph one for the reasons you mention, so kudos for the 'capture'. Whatever you did with PP, it worked very well. Nice photos!
No_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 6:19 AM   #4

Sheer beauty the way you treated the subject-I have never seen one in wildlife

snostorm wrote:

You got this in AF mode I believe? Also did your K20D keep hunting for the 2nd shot? Looks like it is a lot more than 40 ft away as you did do some cropping and your tele combo is a lot longer than mine (300mm). I would say the 3 geese were 100 ft away

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 6:20 AM   #5

Great shot on the redstart. That's a pretty little bird, and I haven't seen one before. Thanks for sharing.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 1:00 AM   #6

I love the geese so
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote