Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 18, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1

Hi All,

Seems like 5/18 is a good birding day! I went out with the expressed goal of shooting some warblers, and the Ipod delivered! They're still hard to shoot, and I rarely got any shots a under 20 feet, so these are all cropped significantly. I used both the FA*300/4.5 alone and the SP 300/2.8 + 1.7x AFA since there were heavy clouds for the most part.

The first is my best shot so far of an American Redstart.

This is a pretty extreme crop of a Common Yellowthroat

Yellow Warbler

Another pretty extreme crop -- and a hard capture. Wilson's Warbler

I'm tentatively IDing this one as a Tennessee Warbler. Any help would be appreciated.

Magnolia Warbler

First ever Black and White Warbler! When I first spotted it, it looked like a miniature Downy WP.

Here's another questionable ID -- Orange Crowned Warbler. Again any help would be appreciated.

This last one's got me stumped! The black patch is only on its left side in front of the yellow streak. There were at least 3 of these flitting around, so it's not a freak.

Somebody help me with these ID's -- these little guys pretty much just pass through, so I don't get to see them that often.

Thanks for taking a look -- probably took a long time to load, but I just couldn't help it. . . I also got some decent Cardinals and Goldfinches, but the Warblers just blew me away --

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2

Fantastic series, Scott. The Redstart is my favorite, but it's simply amazing to get this many varieties of warblers in one shot.

Just looking at my Sibley's, I would probably guess Palm Warbler on the one with the rufous crown. On the orange-crowned warbler, a note is made that the orange crown is rarely seen in the field. On either one, the range is correct.

On the other one, have you considered the possibility of a fledgling? I can't confirm it with a guide, but this guy looks just like the Eastern Phoebes that took off from their nest on our front porch about two weeks ago, although I can't say whether they had the little black mark (Although Sibley's does show a "smudge" at that point on a juvenile Eastern Phoebe.)

Remember, I'm often wrong.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 11:20 PM   #3

Nice series, No 1 is the standout.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 12:20 AM   #4

Great stuff, Scott. I like #2 the best because of the expression. He looks like he's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote