Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:03 AM   #81

Harriet's staircase!!
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 10:30 PM   #82

Like many of you, I have to say there were a lot of excellent photos this month. Everybody pat yourselves on the back.
The dilapidated headlight by PDL (Philip), the propeller by jelpee (Jay), the ceiling by Peacekeeper and staircase by mtngal (Harriet) all grabbed my attention. But my vote goes to a200user's wheel & fender; the framing really pops.
No_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:24 AM   #83

I vote for jelpee's propeller. The only thing I would have done to it was crop it a little tighter so thenacelle would be the determining factor of the width of the image. the people behind the wing detract somewhat - but they really do not pull the eye away from the "roundness" enough to affect the composition.

All of the other images are very well done too. Everyone should feel good about what they did.

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 7:22 AM   #84

No entry from me as I just didn't get around to it (sorry!).

As usual a difficult choice but my vote goes to Harriett's staircase.
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:54 AM   #85

Every time I think I've decided I change my mind again. And, add more into the mix than the three I mentioned earlier. This is getting tougher each month.But, this is it.

My vote goes to Harriet. Done! I'm not looking any more and pushing the send button now!.:-)
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:01 AM   #86

Well, I have finally reached a decision - this has been the toughest month so far.

There are three types of photographs I tend to favor, and (although not intending to to slight any of the other very good images going round in my mind) I would like to recognize two in each category, before making my pick.

Spontaneity - Requires the abiliy to recognize and capture a fleeting moment in time. Experience and serendipity both figure in here: Alex's balloon with the moon making for a great composition, and Beachboy2's beach sculpture framing the setting (rising?) sun.

Nature - Requires recognizing the potential for a picture and the patience to wait for it to happen: dafiryde's dumping wasp and snooked's "button
Bush and Friend".

Static - Requires imagination, planning, and execution - not surprisingly these were among the last entrants: Harriet's spiral staircase and No_Pro's illuminated snail. While both of these are more spiral than round, Harriet's staircase leads the eye to the round skylight (although somewhat overposering it) In spite of all her public angst is arriving at it, it is nonetheless a truly memorable image, and it is my final choice, almost requiring the full five day voting period (whew! ).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 8:45 PM   #87

Another great challenge this month. All the pics very well done. After counting the votes, the winner this month is mtngal (Harriet).

Her staircase was an extremely well executed shot. This is a well deserved win for her.

She may nowset the subject for the July challenge now.

Congrats and thanks to all the people that participated.

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 8:51 PM   #88

Thank you all for the compliments! I am rather surprised that the picture won, since there were so many outstanding pictures this month. Now to think of a new topic...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:23 PM   #89

Congratulations Harriet!

My 5 year old granddaughter even picked your photo as the winner. She comes from good stock, my son and his wife are both artists and my granddaughter shows signs of inheriting their talent.

Nice job, I know you'll keep things challenging.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote