Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 15, 2008, 1:36 AM   #1

I've been wanting to replace my 18-55mm kit lens for a while now. I wanted the DA* 16-50mm but, at $600+ for the lens, couldn't afford it; furthermore, I didn't have a body that would support SDM or make good use of the weather-sealing. So, I looked for cheaper alternatives. To my shock, I found that Cameta was selling a Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC for only $279 on Amazon. Still, at $279, the lens was slightly out of my financial reach. Therefore, to afford this lens, I decided to part ways with my Sigma 70-300mm DG APO MACRO lens. I wasn't using it anymore, as I had limited access to surfers after moving back to the SF bay area.

I have since purchased the 18-50 f/2.8 lens. Haven't had much time to play with it, but so far the quality is superb! I took a couple sample photos of the old kit lens, taken with the new lens:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2008, 3:40 AM   #2

I have a friend who uses this one on a Nikon D50, and he's very pleased about it.

I'm sure it'll give you lots of fun Fast glass just opens up so much more oppurtunities.

Congrats on the new lens!

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:28 AM   #3

Sounds like a nice alternative to the Pentax lens!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 6:29 PM   #4

Sure looks sharp, and having the f2.8 would be really nice. Sure wish you still lived in SLO - I sure wouldn't mind testing out your lens to see how it does with the K20. I'm thinking about possibly upgrading the kit lens, too. The main reason why I've held off is that I like the light weight of the kit lens - I definitely don't need another heavy lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote