Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1

Hi All,

Took a day trip to the "local" Renaisance Faire, just over the Wisconsin border. As usual, I spent a lot of time regretting not bringing another lens (or more lenses, actually) -- but I would have paid a stiff price physically with the extra weight, so I probably made the right decision. I ended up using the DA*50-135 about 95% of the time, and all of these shots were with this lens.

The hardest thing about shooting at one of these Faires is that it's really hard to get backgrounds that don't ruin the "context" of the subject. . .

@ 70mm, f5.6, 1/100, ISO 320

@135mm, f5.6, 1/160, ISO 500

@123mm, f5.6, 1/160, ISO 500

@85mm, f9, 1/100, ISO 800

@135mm, f5, 1/160, ISO 200

Only a few of the "stores" had anything of interest, but one shop really caught my eye -- they produced dolls and animals made by needle felting wool. Here's one of the animals I really liked --

@90mm, f9, 1/500, ISO 500

I also took quite a few flower shots -- a couple turned out okay, and this was my favorite --

@135mm, f5.6, 1/500, ISO 100

. . . and surprise -- no birds in this post!!! :-)

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:30 PM   #2

Interesting collection of people er, pictures here. Somehow I don't think you'd see the makeup on the first two back in medieval times. They both make for interesting photos, though. I love the third one, very appropriate. Your lily is wonderful - a different angle and very pretty. It looks like you had a great time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:32 PM   #3

Wonderful, Wonderful, I always new the Fairies at the bottom of my garden were true. Thankyou for proving it with your beatiful shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:35 AM   #4

2 & 3 are very nice shots. I especially like the look of #3 - very well done!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:12 AM   #5
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Clarity an color rendition is A+! Have seen nothing but good stuff from the DA*50-135. #3 is my favorite: technically exquisite with a look of intrigue! Nice!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:11 AM   #6

#3 almost makes me wonder if you wandered by accident into a Star Wars convention. Great shot of Obi Wan. :-)

Really nice shots. The fairy in #1 & #2 would bless any production of Midsummer Night's Dream. The 50-135 is tough to beat in a setting like that. Generally you can get close enough for the zoom to be sufficient, and it sure beats carrying around a heavy bag all day.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:55 PM   #7

Do you know you are responsible for my divorce since now I have to buy the 50-135?

Damn these good photographers on this website....

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:05 PM   #8

What fun shots, I also like #3 best, it is nicely composed. I am going with dryad for the green girl though, I think you need wings to be a faerie :-). Medieval faires are really a great photography opportunity with the colorful costumes and backgrounds and generally eager subjects.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:31 AM   #9

Intersting photos, especially #3. I for one, just don't understand the fascination with nose studs and rings. Guess my age is showing.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:56 PM   #10

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to look, and for all the nice comments.

These Renaisance Faires are great photo ops, as all the characters are very amenable to having their pictures taken. Most of the time, I shy away from taking pictures of people for a number of reasons, but at these, I try to make the "people" my main subjects, so it's just fun. The hard part is to try to exclude the "modern tourists" from the backgrounds. If you concentrate on the subject, and get it just right, there's almost always someone with red shorts and a white tee shirt strolling somewhere in the bg pushing a stroller. This is the main reason I chose not to shoot too much with a wider lens -- it was just too hard to not include unwanted elements in the bg.

The concensus seems to like #3, and it's my favorite also. I was really surprised when I opened it up on the computer, as he seemed to be engrossed in a conversation with some of the other characters, so when I saw that he was actually looking at me, and had this subtle expression of humor, I was very pleasantly surprised. Luck definitely played its part, as is usually the case for me. . .:-)

There were quite a few times when I wished I had a bit more reach, but I know that I wouldn't be able to use my right arm for about a week if I would have used my Tok 80-200/2.8 all day -- my elbow just can't take that kind of weight over the course of a full day anymore. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote