Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:59 PM   #1

A friend at work told me about this software called "GIMP" that you can download free online.
I'm checking it out now and so far it looks pretty good! You can't beat the price. Has anyone else tried this one?
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 6:55 PM   #2

Yes, but I haven't really used it. All I did was install and look over the menus. It appears to have the basics. While you're at it, and if you do anything in RAW format there is another free program called UFRaw. If you have both GIMP and UFRaw installed you can open RAW (PEF) files from GIMP which will open the file in UFRaw.

Two other free RAW Editor/Converters are Raw Therapee and SilkyPix. Based on some limited use I like Raw Therapee but you will need a speedy processor and a meg of RAM for it to function with any speed.

These two programs will also do some basic editing to jpg files.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

Picasa 2 gives you a simple RAW converter (works on *istDL, *istDS, K10D and K100D Super, I didn't have any other models to test). Doesn't have a huge feature set but does all of the minor adjustments. From Google.

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:37 PM   #4

Picasa is a great library program IMO and it does open all Pentax RAW files, right up through the K20d. All of my photos get uploaded to my computer through Picasa. I would not recommend it for editing beyond a quick and dirty crop or similar.

Picasa makes backing up to disk, transferring pics over a network, and emailing pics realy easy too. When emailing a batch of pics it automatically resizes them to whatever dimensions you specify.

No experience with GIMP, I am pretty happy with PSP X2 and have too many hours invested in learning it to switch now.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:54 PM   #5

And for portability there is GIMP-on-a-stick.

Put it on a USB thumb drive and always have it with you!
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:04 AM   #6

I've been using GIMP for a while, but haven't really gotten into its more complicated parts. I use it for cloning, some color adjustment, but mostly for perspective adjusment. I also use Picasa for the basics because it is so easy and it does a great job lightening pictures without losingcontrast.Its straightening tool also comes in very handy!

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:43 AM   #7

You may find Gimpshop interesting, it's a modified version of the Gimp, so that the menus are more familiar to Photoshop users, it's available free, like most high-end editing programs it has a steep learning curve. ... Jack.

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:10 AM   #8

gimp is my tool of choice for editing. Why? It simply works on Linux and WIndows.
Tried a couple of other stuff, but when it comes to ordering, i ask myself it is worth the bucks or stick with gimp.
And until now i stick to gimp :-)
bye alex
albreca is offline   Reply With Quote