Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:32 PM   #11

Sorry PDL. Not fair. Not fun.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:19 AM   #12

Thanks to you all for you comments and support.

I do have all the serial numbers for the cameras / lenses and such. For some reason the TV's serial number is gone. We will be contacting the insurance adjuster (again) tomorrow to make sure that we have replacement. The only thing is - how do I "replace" my 35mm SLR's that Fujica stopped making 30+ years ago. Those EBC lenses were (are) sweet little things.

So far, the adding up of the costs so far is getting into the low 5 figures.

I would like to know if I could get a K20D and replace the kit, 50-200 and 50mm while not asking for a replacement for the *istDs. Although I did find a "new" *istDs still out at Amazon.

We will know better what is going to happen as the week progresses, but I feel weird not having my DSLR's around. The light this evening was pretty cool.

Oh - I did go and talk to all the neighbors - or at least the ones who sort of know who I am. They did not see anything and I have already looked out on Craig's List ane e-bay ---- the two biggest fence operations on the planet.

Anyway, they only took things, they left my images alone (remember to do good backups) and they did not break anything - they even unplugged all the cables, they did not rip them out.

Tomorrow is another day to work through.

Thanks again - PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:59 AM   #13

So saddening to hear about this. Not only the loss - after all things can be replaced - but the intimidation, having someone poke about in your home and your personal belongings.

Hope you reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, and good to hear that all your pictures was saved. They can't be replaced.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:29 AM   #14

I'm sorry to hear about this.
About 2 years ago-- I was living in Orlando at the time-- my house was burglarized. My house had a monitored alarm which was REALLY loud. The neighbors? Well, the woman next door told me she had heard someone in the yard but didn't look. Her husband, upon hearing the alarm, went outside for a look but the police were already there. The woman across the street said she thought it was her car alarm (!) and went to look but the police were already there. Guess what? The officer who was first on the scene told me that it took him 10 minutes to get there after he got the call.
I'm sure I would have lost a lot more if it hadn't been for the alarm but it did nothing to dissuade the thieves from breaking in and taking what they could get before the police arrived. None of my things were ever recovered.
(The neighbors were actually very nice people. It's just they, like almost everyone else, ignore alarms when they hear them.)
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:54 AM   #15

So, so sorry to hear of your incident. I do wish you luck in finding the perpetrators. My son's in-laws were broken into when they were in Florida for a month. It took a year, but they eventually found the kids that had broken in. And, recovered most of the items. Although, not all. They did the same things. Were "clean" about the break-in. Just took stuff. Wouldn't even have looked like they'd been broken into except they left the back door open when they left.

You'll be in my thoughts that things work out for you.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:17 PM   #16

Hey PDL,
One thing to keep in mind is, you do not have to replace what was stolen if you don't want to. After the insurance Co. determines the total amount of loss they will cut you a check for that amount and you can spend it any way you choose. Could turn out to be a good thing…
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:27 PM   #17

You have my sympathy PDL.

I have burgled twice. The last time, about 7 years ago, they made off with all of my Nikon film camera gear - around £2,500 worth - all uninsured! Along with hi-fi separates etc.

They used the ladies pram from the downstairs flat to take it all.

Taken me this long to build my stuff back up again.

Lesson learnt - insurance is esssential.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:44 PM   #18

I hate it when bad things like thishappen to good people.

Tim really covered all the bases. The only thing I cansuggest is to report your laptops stolen to the manufacturer so they can update their database. IF any sort of service requests come through and the serial number is tagged as stolen, it can lead to a possible recovery. I have heard itwork a couple of times.

I hope they catch the criminal(s).
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 12:23 AM   #19

Thanks for all the kind words and thoughts.

We talked with the insurance adjuster today and eventhough the paper work is not complete, they see no issue with getting a K20D sooner rather than later. I have found few places with "kit packages" that have the 18-55 and 50-200 Pentax lenses - so that is on tomorrows agenda.

I guess I will see if I can get the 50mm f1.4 out of them too, but that will part of the secondary effort. I will need to sit down with them and understand what they mean when they say "replacement". I found someone selling a Fujica ST801 with two lenses - I may just have to jump on that since a pure manual film SLR is still something that I will find difficult not to have (plus I have 8 rolls of Ecktachrome in the fridge).

The alarm is in and on as I speak. Now the waiting to resolve all the police and insurance hastles begins.

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 1:30 AM   #20

Film SLR's should be fairly easy to replace since they don't normally bring that much, so just search out ebay auctions to replace what you lost.

Fuji equipment isn't that popular even though the lenses are M42 (I think) so you should be able to find what you need fairly easily.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote