Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 23, 2008, 9:29 PM   #1

I'm now on vacation. I now don't remember who posted some macros taken while he was on vacation (was it Tim? I don't remember!). I did more or less the same thing.

First, a small butterfly, notmuch bigger than my thumbnail. I don't know what type of flower these were, thought they might be some type of phlox. It was just a wildflower that was growing along the trail, an uphill climb to the top of a ski area.

I'm sure some people would think it strange that I would be looking at small butterflies and tiny flowers at my feet, when I should be looking out and seeing scenes like this:

A good sized river snaking it's way through a "hole".

And really, I should have been looking further out, to admire this view:

The lighting was horrible, and this was the only day I had to climb Snow King. The next day, when we left, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and I would have gotten much better pictures.

Finally, the other picture I thought of posting for this month's challenge - another wide topic. A little higher up and I can see over the lower hills better.

Just wish it had been clear that day as it was the only day I had. I was really disappointed in most of the pictures I took - was hoping for a good wide-angle shot of the Grand Tetons for the challenge, but it was not to be. The next day we left for places further north...

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2

The butterfly is awesome, nice shot. I like the rest also, particularly the cloud shadows on the valley below. Hope you had a great vacation.

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2008, 11:29 PM   #3

Happy Holidays !

The Butterfly shot is wonderful, so pretty, great composition and I love the sky in the Snow King shot.

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:42 AM   #4

I love then all. IMHO You Got a fantastic Shot on the Snow king city Shot. For me the Clouds add So Much to the Shot.
BTW Again IMHO You picked the right shot For the monthly Challenge.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:07 AM   #5

These are very nice considering your conditions. Isn't mother nature cruel at times. I really like the butterfly. We have those flowers by where I walk at work. Can't remember the name right now. If I do I'll let you know.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:26 AM   #6

Hey Harriet,
I really think #3 is a terrific shot. I agree no clouds would have produced a lot more detail on the ground but, I think it's the clouds that make this such a great photo.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 9:44 AM   #7

All very nicely done Harriet!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 3:29 PM   #8

I agree with the comments about the clouds and the meandering river. The butterfly shot is particularly nice, however an additional shot showing the underside of the wings would help in the identification, if you managed to get one. There are dozens of similar butterflies in the group (Metalmarks, Checkerspots, Crescents, and Fritillaries), many of which are also variable in appearance. Knowing the altitude (foothill, mountainside, treeline, etc, would also help. A best guess on this one at this point would be the Mormon Fritillary (assuming this is the Wyoming Snow King).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2008, 6:42 PM   #9

Yes on the Wyoming Snow King - I thought the Grand Tetons would give it away (along with my pun for the Snake River). They never sat still with their wings closed, always had them open. I took another type of butterfly, but it was grey and didn't photograph well. It always stopped with it's wings closed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:12 AM   #10

The images from your hike are simply breathtaking! (Pun intended)

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote