Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:31 PM   #1

Early morning, and look who's using the K100:

Mammoth Hot Springs, aterrace glimpsedthrough the steam:

It's hard to take a bad picture here:

The hot springs come and go. The grey and white formations are where springs used to be but for some reason, the water quit flowing. The ones that have various colors are active. The color reflects the organisms that are growing in the water and they vary with the temperature. As you can see, the springs flow around trees, killing them.

Between the two of us, we took several hundred pictures and almost all of them were good.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:43 AM   #2

Have you put something in your hubby's drink? Or have you increased your reading of books as a gesture of gratitude?:-)

Fascinating landscape, to say the least.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:54 AM   #3

More wonderful shots, sure looks like you are having a great holiday.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:30 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Very nice and looks like a wonderful place to shoot. I particularly like the 2nd and 3rd ones he took, definitely the strongest of the set, especially the 2nd as it has great subject isolation and an interesting angle.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:55 AM   #5

Wow! I really like the third one. You can almost feel the steam coming off the rocks.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 7:33 AM   #6

Actually, all of these are actually my pictures. I'll post some of his shots in another thread on a different subject. It's not that he didn't take some really good pictures here at Mammoth Hot Springs, but rather I only chose my two absolute favorites (#2 and 3, both taken with the A*300) and two that explained the terrain better (#4, taken with the 77 Limited and #5 taken with the 12-24). I thought he made a good subject in the first one (also taken with the 77 Limited), he was taking a picture with the K100 and the DA*50-135.

Since he's taken over the DA*50-135, I've been using primes much more than I had expected. I assumed that I would be using mostly the 12-24 and the 50-135 and figured I wouldn't use the 300 at all - wrong! I've used all of my usual lenses (though the Viv 105 macro hasn't had much use since I got to Yellowstone), changing often. It's actually been great fun and I think some of my pictures have been more creative because of that, and I still have all the usual vacation snaps one takes here, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:33 AM   #7

Awesome Shots!! I Absolutely love Yellowstone. In My Youth I spent a week there on my own. I have 3 Slide trays of Shots taken With Extrachrome 25 Using My ME.
I hope you had a chance To see the falls and the lake!! Both are breathtaking Sights.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:19 PM   #8

Harriet, these are excellent - no 3 is really stark - it may be the best picture you have taken yet - it has an Ansel Adams quality to it. Try a B&W conversion and see what happens (it is almost there now).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 1:37 PM   #9

More wonderful shots - I think these are my favourites from the series.

I remember the time when the holiday shots were just basic people with heads and things cutoff - relegated to the family albums.

So glad things have moved on and we can see parts of the world we will probably never get to visit.

Thanks for sharing.

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 5:53 AM   #10

Great series,

for me those shot's could have been taken in Pamukale (Turkey) where they have the same white hotsprings.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote