Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2008, 8:50 AM   #1

For several years, it's been my pleasure to be a part of the Arkansas Senior Olympic program as the meet announcer for the track and field events. For the first few years, my sentiment was "I hope I'm that athletic when I get that old." Now, IAM that old, and I'm definitely not as athletic as some of these participants

The minimum age to compete is 50, and there is no maximum....as you can see from this 800 meter runner

I had a lot of free time between announcing chores, so I took my K20 and Bigma up into the press box for these shots. It was a cloudy, hazy morning, but I was still pleased with the results.

These are not recreational joggers, just out to trot around the track. At stake were berths in the National Senior Olympics, and competition was fierce. This is coming down the line in the 200 meters

The intensity of effort can be seen in the competitors' faces. The first gentleman below was on his way to a 74 second time in the 400 meters, but he got edged out for first placeat the end.

Finally, lest I forget the ladies. The first shot is from the start of the women's 100 meters and the second from the 200.

My hat is off to all these competitors. Maybe someday I'll get enough initiative to get in training and join them, now that I'm old enough that they'll let me.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Paul, you have captured through your camera the very best of the human spirit! Thanks for sharing.

PS. 5 years and I'd be eligible too!!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 5:01 PM   #3

Age is no excuse to notget out and exercise, and competitiveness and love of sports don't go away when one reaches a more "mature" age. You did a great job capturing that feeling with these pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:14 PM   #4

These pictures are very inspiring!

They kinda look right at you and make you look at yourself as well -- at least that's what they did for me.

You can "see" the determination in each one of their eyes.

I hope I'm as active when I get older, which would really be amazing because I am completely out of shape right now.

I love them!

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Wonderful shots, just goes to show there is no such thing as old, it's only a state of mind. I just hope my body is willing.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2008, 3:47 PM   #6

Great stuff. Wonderfully captured the expressions of the athletes.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote