Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1

This weekend, my wife and I took a short trip to Tulsa and proved that the 4.5 hour return trip can be stretched to 9 or so hours if you take the longest, most scenic route possible (especially if you stop at every scenic overlook, park, etc.)

We actually went for a football game, U. of Central Arkansas (for whom I was once a sportscaster) v. Tulsa. The game was disappointing, but I was impressed with the quality I got from a ltitle P&S Pentax Optio S50. (My wife sort of "suggested" that we were going to watch the game, not take pictures....I still got away with snapping a few.)

Instead of coming straight back this morning, we detoured through the Boston Mountains (a sub-chain of the Ozarks) of Northwest Arkansas. Despite a haze that limited visibility...the view was spectacular

Driving throgh the mountains, you can't help check out the little streams that cut through the valleys

Unfortunately, the amount of Fall foliage was limited--most of the color in the shot above came from dead trees and branches. However, we did find a couple of red maples that were READY to get fall under way.

When you give up any presense at making "good time," you see all sorts of things you had missed before....such as this pretty Ozark lake I didn't know existed...and what better way to enjoy a beautiful day than in a canoe

Throughout the trip, the rural road were lined with these little yellow flowers, called tickseed flowers. However, from the bites I wound up with, perhaps they should be called seed ticks.

On top of Mount Magaine...the highest point in Arkansas...we found a wide variety of flowers, such as these little purple ones

The area is known for its butterflies, and the Visitor's Center has a wildlife area that attracts both them and the neighborhood bees

But the star of the show at Mount Magaine is the spactacular view of the Arkansas River valley

The wide shots taken with the Sigma 18-50--tbe rest taken with the Sigma 70-200 , except for the FB pickture as explained above.

Enjoy, Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:25 AM   #2

What a beautiful place. I really like the composition on #2, but they are all nice.
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 6:27 PM   #3

Yeah, that's what I call a "lazy trip"
they're the best kind!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:07 PM   #4

i have lived in oklahoma 13 years now and still have not made it to the ozarks. it looks so awesome, now i'm thinking i need to make a trip inafewweeks. fall colors should hit it's peak around mid-late october.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:20 PM   #5

Ishino, it would definitely be worth the trip once the leaves get in full color. Another one, however, that is a little closer to you, and one I plan to check out in two or three weeks is the Talimena Scenic Drive along the Arkansas-Oklahoma border further to the south. Check out this website

This is along the crests of the Ouachita Mountains straddling the border.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:02 PM   #6

These are great, Paul. What a pretty state.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote