Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:00 AM   #1

I can't seem to figure out how to crop photos to an appropriate size for display on this forum using Pentax Laboratory 3, the utility which came with my K10D. I hope someone can hand lead me through the process.

It seems to me that I should set incoordinates for the top left point of the desired result, then set in the area size, but, when I do this the numbers won't stay fixed. What am I doing wrong, and how should I do it?

Or is there some easier way to get the right size crop to comprise with the conditions for size imposed by the Forum?

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

I don't usually use PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory to crop my images. But I had it so I thought I'd see what I could do.

Boy, is it a difficult program to use for this.

I think the trick is that when you click the "diskette / save" icon, you have to have the crop/resize tool bar active. In other words, you have to leave them on the screen & see the dotted lines of the crop that you have selected when you are pressing the "diskette / save" icon.

When you close down the crop/resize window thingy & the dotted crop marks disappear from the image, when you click save, the whole image gets saved.

From what I see, the other two ways to get image size down with PENTAX PHOTO Laboratory is . . .

1) Changing the "Image Size" (bottom left of the crop/resize window) to whatever size you want the final image to be &
2) The compression amount which you affect by clicking on the "JPEG" drop-down menu on the main Photo Laboratory menu bar. The small one that is always open.

I'm not too familiar with PENTAX Photo Laboratory & I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, so I'm not sure if this helps at all.

Take care,

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:04 PM   #3

Thanks Glen. Your ideas may help. I will work with them to see what I can evolve.......Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:29 PM   #4

I'm going to suggest a different approach I use. I am one of the few that actually likes PPL and use it whenever I shoot raw, which is often. I feel quite comfortable with it now, but it has a learning curve. Here is what I do. I use PPL to post process the raw image and then save it as a tiff. This is a full size image, so is quite large.

I then use a little program called Irfanview, whichhas been around a long time and load the tiff into it. I can then crop, resize and sharpen (I use unsharp mask)the image, then save it as a jpeg. I then delete the large tiff image, but save my original raw in case I want to work with it later. I know we have a few fans of Irfanview on this forum, so maybe they can suggest other ideas. It's a free little program, very fast and very good. Did I mention its free- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote