Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:40 PM   #1

saw this reel in field a few months ago and thought it would make a nice picture, so today i walked 12 miles to take this pic so hope you think it was worth the walk. but now i cant decide if i prefer it in landscape or portrait, what do you think?

i boosted the colours a little in this one

and i saw some mushrooms on a log on the way back

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:51 PM   #2

I actually like the mushrooms better than the reels. I am not sure which of the reels l like better. I think I would go with the landscape shot because it gives some context. But I think it would work better if a little more of the frame was devoted to the reel. But that is just my opinion and its really more important what you like.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:26 PM   #3

I mainly agree with Glenn here, but I do think the reel has the right proportions, maybe you could have backed off even a tad further. Just my spontaneous reflection, fwiiw.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:02 PM   #4

Well… my first reaction was I liked the landscape better than the portrait but, they are both good… only I think it would be a much better photo if the spool was old and rusty and a dull color rather than the bright orange. It kind of distracts me. Or, if it was an old tractor, a plow or a beat up old rusting car…?:-?
The mushrooms… I like!
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:26 PM   #5

I say landscape

I think the framing is fine the expanse adds to the feel

This is a good candidate for conversion to B&W it will make people wonder how long has it been sitting there
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:44 PM   #6

I definitely like the landscape more than the portrait. But, the mushrooms are my favorite. I'm with GW. The reel just isn't as interesting as a tractor or something.FWIW.

I know what I don't like about it. The reel of wire doesn't go with the nicely plowed field. In it's own more appropriate setting it could work.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7

An interesting discussion. When I firstglanced at the pictures (before looking at anyone else's reaction) my thought was to prefer the landscape over the portrait version. Now that I'm home looking at them on a different monitor, for the second time,I still like the framing of the landscape one better, but if I had taken it, I'd put it in the "almost" category. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it's like its missing something, like it's boring. You might try adjusting the levels some to see if that helps - bringing out the bright color in the reel more, adding contrast to the picture (by color as well as by subject - isn't that what caught your eye?). It might not help, but that would be the first thing I'd try, and I make no claim that I know what I'm talking about.

The mushrooms are wonderful.

P.S. I downloaded it to see if my suggestion would help any, and discovered that the original colors are ones that Internet Explorer doesn't handle very well (I've noticed the same thing with some of my pictures). It's MUCH better looking when viewed in Photoshop. But do try using levels to make the whole picture brighter, then perhaps a little USM to add a bit more contrast and the landscape picture will pop out at you.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:00 AM   #8

For what its worth I can't decide, but also like the mushrooms
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:45 AM   #9

thx for your comments and suggestions, i think im being drawn to the landscape as well, i think its just one those photos, when i show it to people they either say, yea that really nice, love the colours or they say its just an irrigater in a field, but the skys nice lol

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:07 AM   #10

Just my 5c

to start of nice mushrooms

and for your question , i would go for the landscape version
  • you can see the field and as Glenn said it places it into context[/*]
  • the color is more realistic (the portrait is to saturated for me)[/*]
  • the field that goes out of focus gives a sens of dept that is missing in the portrait
  • there is just to much sky in the portrait version, and this sky draws the attention of the subject.[/*]
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote