Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:08 PM   #1

Seeing as I had no plans for Halloween, I decided to check out the remains of the Halloween at the Castro event in San Francisco, CA. The officially sanctioned event was held at the parking lot near AT&T Park. Overall, the event had a relatively low turnout, the reason being the muggy weather (the horde of police probably dampened the party atmosphere as well).

Flash photography is not my forte, so my acceptable photo count from the event was very low. I tried to take advantage of the slow shutter speeds to take some motion shots, but that didn't go well. My attempts to use off-shoe flash didn't work out too well either; I ended up using my external flash on the hotshoe in P-TTL mode.

Here's the best of the bunch:

Speaking of weather, I, unfortunately, had to test the weather-resistance of my K20D and DA* 16-50mm lens. I say unfortunately in a positive way, however; the camera and lens performed with no problems even though the weather took a turn for the worse at the end. I was able to keep shooting despite the camera getting a good soaking (the photo below showed the camera after drying for a bit from the soaking):

I can say that I'm now a firm believer in the K20D's weather-sealing.

Can't say the same about my low-light photography skills though...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:37 PM   #2

I like your third picture, the technique goes well with their masks. And I know what you mean about the K20's weather-proofing as I was out yesterday morning, trying to take sunrise pictures. I'd be outside with the DA12-24 lens on and it would start to rain. I'd jump in the car and change to the 50-135, get out and take a couple of more pictures. Of course, it would stop raining and I'd get back in the car and change lenses. Get out, shoot one or two pictures and it would rain again. I finally just gave up and went home!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3

I think the key to a good motion blurred shot is a point of focus that is not blurred to anchor the photo. I think you achieved that very nicely in #3 with the one clear mask anchoring everything else.

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote