Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:55 PM   #1

Someone mentioned using the K20's burst mode (21 fps) recently for animation. I had even forgotten about it and last night found a tutorial that said Photoshop CS2 could do GIF animations. I never knew that, so I just had to try it out today.

Lunch found me using the burst mode while photographing someone practicing pole vaulting. I had forgotten that the mirror locks up when you use burst mode, so the viewfinder is blacked out. Since I was practicing moving figures, I had to try to follow the action with my other eye and hope the camera was pointing in the right direction.

And Apparently CS4 has added animation features (which I couldn't quite figure out on my own) so I did it the way the CS2 tutorial showed.

There were more frames to the series, but when I first tried to use all of them, I had a file that was way to big to handle. I ended up significantly resizing the frames and only using about the first 2/3 of them. It turned out to be pretty easy to put together - just put all the different frames into the same file, each on it's own layer. Then choose the animation in the windows menu (at least that's where I found it in CS4). Add a bunch of frames, and in each one, turn on the next layer. You can set delay between frames as desired.

I uploaded it to one of my zenfolio albums. When viewing the album the gif doesn't play, but it will if you go to it directly. However, the file is still pretty big and I found that I had to wait a while for all of the frames to (slowly) download before it would animate, but it does work eventually (and this is with the wide side dimension reduced to 400 pixels!). If you are interested, here is the direct link: http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p856618855.gif . I don't think I would try it if you are on dial-up. I also made no effort to correct the underexposure (I was shooting before dawn this morning and forgot to re-set the camera).

I'd be interested in what others think about it, since this is my first ever attempt at something like this.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2008, 1:13 AM   #2

Thanks for the tip, I gotta try it out sometime.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:31 AM   #3

That's brilliant Harriet, I'm impressed, BTWit loaded very quickly for me. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:38 AM   #4

jachol wrote:
That's brilliant Harriet, I'm impressed, BTWit loaded very quickly for me. ... Jack
It is fast to load for me too. Got to try it out.

Harriet: thanks for sharing

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 5:48 AM   #5
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Looked like a movie clip to me...quite impressive! I had previously tried the burst mode on the K20D as an experiment, but was thinking only of still images. Never thought to string them along to actually show animation!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 6:54 AM   #6

Very cool!

As an animator, some of it feels a bit slow-motiony to me. If you are trying to replicate real-life physics/timing, try to either lessen the delay between the images or to delete some of the images in the series. Of course, I don't know what (if any) effect you're going for, and there's obviously a lot of great animation that uses photographs and that plays with time (leaving some images out, only shooting particular ones, etc) precisely so that it doesn't look like video.

Again, nice work!

meaghansketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:07 AM   #7

Now that is down right Too Cool + Genius!

Take care,

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:07 AM   #8

I don't think much in terms of motion or animation - I once had a video cam that I hardly ever used. My mind does much better with still photos as a usual thing.

But I'm also one who loves to try new things, and when I found I could do the gif animation without buying any new programs - just had to try it. It's so much fun to hang around here and get ideas to check out, learn new things whether it be camera or software related. And Photoshop does SO much more than what I've discovered so far!

The other thing I had discovered as I was exploring CS4 tutorials is that Bridge can do batch processing of photos. So when I discovered just how big the file was going to be with all the layers - I set up an action in Photoshop to resize pictures to 400 pixels. Then I selected a bunch of the photos in Bridge, and asked for Bridge to run the Photoshop action. It opens the pictures in photoshop as it resizes them using whatever photoshop resizing method (I almost always use"bicubic sharper)- found that quite convenient.

And yes, the file loads very quickly with my high-speed work internet connection. My one at home is much slower.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:39 AM   #9

Mtngal, that is simply amazing. I keep trying to tell myself to be happy with my K100D, but when I see stuff like this, the urge to upgrade is very hard to resist. (Unfortunately our computer at home is slowly dying after 6 years of faithful service so a new computer is likely to be our next major purchase.)

By the way, several years ago when I was using a Panasonic FZ30 as my primary "good" camera, I was frustrated by the fact that the viewfinder locked up when the camera was used in Burst mode. Based on enthusiastic recommendations from people on the Panasonic forum, I bought a red dot sighting contraption rthat mounted in the flash hotshoe. With the red dot gizmo on the cameraI could track a moving subject. Ittook a little whileto get used to, butseveral months after purchasing it, while on a trip to Alaska, Idid manage to track a bald eagle swooping down and plucking a fish from the water, with the FZ30.I expect it would work equally well on the K20Dwith the viewfinder blacked out. I remember reading that these red dot things are used routinely in rifle sights; I bought mine from a guy whomodifiesthem to fit on a camera hot shoe. He sold them on eBay; I have no idea if they are still available.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:40 PM   #10

Hey Harriet,
It loads instantly on my machine and plays almost as smooth as a video!
very impressed. I'm wondering if you used "best" image setting on the camera and if so, if it would help any to reduce it down to "good" setting? :-? for smaller file size.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote