Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:49 PM   #1

I played with the Bigma and the 1.4X teleconverter today with birds that were visiting the feeder just outside our bedroom patio door. Since it gave me such nice closeups, I post-processed like I would other portraits, including adding some directional lighting. I liked some of the results. First customer was a tufted titmouse.

Prints are going to cost how much?

A little field sparrow wasn't so sure about posing

The Carolina wren didn't even bother to clean the suet off his beak before his session

Actually, I did have one surprise this morning. As I sat down to watch the trees in the front yard, I saw movement near the top of a tree, so I figured I check out the lighting and focus using what I assumed was a titmouse. I was using the Bigma and 1.4X teleconverter and could barely see the bird, so I was surprised when I checked the LCD and dialed in a cedar waxwing. This is the first I have ever seen in my yard and this one didn't stick around for a second shot. (I know this one's not very sharp, but I was still excited just to see one of these guys in the yard--100% crop).

Not everything in the yard, though, had feathers. I caught this lady and her fawn in the power line cut behind the house. She was about 100 yards away and I didn't even notice the fawn at first, he was so well concealed.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:13 PM   #2

Nice, Paul. Not many birds out up here today. Got about 8" snow here at my aunts. I'm hearing it was about 17" at home. But, at least the cold weather (well close to zero) is leaving for now.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 3:37 AM   #3

Great bird portraits, and the fawn is stunning

(especially for me because I live real close to the city and would love to have that in my neighborhood)
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:45 AM   #4

I really like the lighting and the clarity on the first two and the deer are beautiful. The middle ones are a bit fuzzy but the first and last are great.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:14 PM   #5

The first and last are wonderful! I've been starting to notice birds more, rather than taking them for granted. It's fun taking a picture (even a marginal one) then discovering it's not what you expected it to be.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:00 PM   #6

This is the post that made me go out in the snow this morning to find birds. I have to hand it to you. They are not that easy to capture. You did a great job.

Thanks for the inspiration

StevieRaveOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:06 PM   #7

i wish we had colourfull birds in the uk,

maybe i should cheat and visit an aviary
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote