Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:19 PM   #11

Very nice series. Don't know the game, but the images are great.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:30 PM   #12

Nice shots! Like the rest of the world outside the Commonwelth, I understand nothing of the game. I tried to read the 1200 pages book "A quick introduction to the basics of cricket" but fell asleepon page 11.:-)

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:08 PM   #13

Very nice pictures! I'm another one who's only knows that there's a bowler and a batsman and there's stumps and that's about it. Maybe some day I'll be somewhere and someone can explain it all to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 3:42 PM   #14

No idea also, but the photos are very sharp and have good contrast!

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 4:32 PM   #15
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

mtngal wrote:
. . .Maybe some day I'll be somewhere and someone can explain it all to me.
I believe it is a social event as much as it is competition sports...especially when some matches last for up to 5 days!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:23 PM   #16

Ggreat shots Simon.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:37 PM   #17

Rules of Cricket in VERY SIMPLE terms.

(Edit... this turned out bigger than I thought)

Crease - a line forward of the wicket
Wicket - , three wooden stumps in the ground with two bales (small pieces of wood) balanced on top.
Pitch – the portion of the playing field between the two wickets, made of grass, but allowed to dry and compressed to allow the ball to bounce.
Wicket Keeper – similar to a baseball catcher, but stands further back to catch the ball
Bowler – Like a baseball pitcher.

The bowler has to strike the wickets with the ball, the batsman has to protect the wickets and hit the ball to make runs. Unlike baseball, the batsman can keep running and will continue to play until he is out. (Getting out is discussed later)

The bowler has to bowl the ball with a straight arm, no throwing like in baseball. He is allowed to run as he bowls the ball. He must release the ball prior to crossing the crease. The crease is a line in front of the wicket about 1 ½ bat lengths. The crease becomes important later on.

There ball can either be bowled directly at the wicket, which is called a full toss, though this is rare as it makes it easy for the batsman to hit. Usually the ball is bowled so that it bounces once (like in tennis) and the batsman attempts to hit the ball as it rises after striking the ground.

This is where it gets hard for the batsman. Like in baseball where the pitcher can throw a curve ball, a bowler can cause the ball to spin, so that when it strikes the ground it takes off in a different direction. Sometimes the ball is bowled wide of the wickets so the batsman thinks it will miss the wickets, but because of the spin it turns back in and effectively goes around the batsman and strikes the wickets. He can cause the ball to land in line with eh wickets but spin away, this cause the batsman's hit to clip the ball and cause it to go in an unintended direction, usually towards a fielder and be caught just like in baseball.

Another type of bowl is the fast ball, and just like in baseball it is all about beating the reflexes of the batsman. Unlike baseball, it is not an automatic run if you hit the batsman. England tried this as a tactic against Australia (read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyline ).

Another ball is called a BOUNCER, this is where the ball is bowled fast and designed to strike the ground earlier than normal and rise back up towards the batsman's face cause him to duck, sometimes the ball may strike his bat and the ball may get caught by a fielder.

Once a batsman hits the ball he then decides if he wishes to make a RUN. Unlike baseball, here he HAS to run. In baseball the batter runs a diamond and back to home base to make a run, in cricket the batsman simply runs to the other end of the pitch. At the opposite end of the pitch is a second batsman and both batsmen have to run together in opposite directions. They can continue to run back and forth until the fielders collect the ball and throw it back towards their wickets.

Once either batsman leaves the crease area of the pitch he is vulnerable. If a fielder throws the ball and strikes either wicket before the batsman can cross the crease he is "Run Out", similar to a baseball batter getting caught between bases. The other batsman is not out unless his wicket is also hit. Like a double play.

Ways a batsman can get out.
His wicket is hit with the ball when it is bowled.
He is run out as described above
He is caught, as in baseball, he hit s fly ball and it is caught by a fielder.
He is bowled LBW.

LBW is basically a rule that says you can't use your legs to defend the wicket, if the ball is heading towards your wicket and it strikes your leg, then you have put your LEG Before your WICKET (LBW).

Making runs.
Hit the ball and run until unsafe
Hit the ball until it rolls or bounces across the field boundary and you automatically get 4 runs.
Hit a fly ball all the way over the field boundary and you automatically get 6 runs.

It is not uncommon for batsman to make 50 or 100 runs before they get out. Only the batsman that is batting scores runs against his name, the other batsman at the opposite end of the pitch does not contribute to the team score until he faces the bowler. Though he can get run out.

What is an over?
An "Over" is a set number of balls the bowler is allowed to bowl before the fielding team changes ends and bowls at the other batsman at the end of the pitch. Thirty years ago an Over was 8 balls, now it is 6.

A "Maiden Over" is an over (6 balls) where the batsman does not make any runs).

A "Duck" is where the batsman is out before he makes any runs.

Playing "Slips" is a fielding position to the left or right rear of the batsman, adjacent to the wicket keeper to catch balls that are clipped but not hit properly.

Some interesting differences. Fielders do NOT wear any gloves or mits and catch the ball bear handed. The wicket keeper wear two gloves. The ball is made of hardened leather with a prominent stitched seam.

Cricket balls are notoriously hard and potentially lethal, hence today's batsmen and close fielders often wear protective headgear. Raman Lamba was killed when hit on the head while fielding at forward short leg in a club match in Bangladesh. Only two other cricketers are known to have died as a result of on-field injuries in a first-class fixture. Both were hit while batting: George Summers of Nottinghamshire on the head at Lord's in 1870; and Abdul Aziz, the Karachi wicket-keeper, over the heart in the 1958-59 Quaid-e-Azam final. Ian Folley of Lancashire, playing for Whitehaven in 1993, died after being hit, and in 1995 a batsman was killed in a match in Vancouver, Canada, when hit on the head ducking under a bouncer.
Frederick, Prince of Wales is often said to have died of complications after being hit by a cricket ball, although in reality this is not true - although he was hit in the head by one, the real cause of his death was a burst abscess in a lung. Glamorgan player Roger Davis was almost killed by a ball in 1971 when he was hit on the head while fielding.

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:23 PM   #18

Thanks for the rules of cricket - I had a vague idea of about 1/4 of them before I read your post (thanks to a novel by Dorothy Sayers that I enjoyed). Now I have a better idea of what she was talking about.

Are you back in Australia for a while or just a break (I saw your location on your avatar).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:02 PM   #19

Thanks all, all taken with a DA*300. Nice brief description of the game PK.
simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:12 PM   #20

Lovely action sequence. Your 300mm lens did you well.

Cricket, lovely cricket,
at Lords where I saw it...

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote