Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 16, 2009, 9:48 PM   #1

I brought up the subject in an earlier thread - at least a month ago - about the choice of a megazoom camera like the Panasonic FZ28 or the Canon SX10 versus simply buying a Pentax 18-250mm lens for my K200D. The general consensus at the time seemed to be that the FZ28 was probably the the best choice for the specific conditions I was talking about.

I also said at the time that I was in no rush - that I probably wouldn't buy anything until the spring - when I would need the long telephoto ability combined with the convenience and speed of not having to change lenses at certain sporting and family events, etc.

And while the FZ28 is still at the top of my list, I'd like to hear from some K2000 owners. I've yet to actually see or handle this camera in person. I'm wondering if it really seems that smaller and lighter than the K200D when using it in the real world. I've read the specs and they don't seem that different - but the numbers rarely tell the whole story. With the 18-250mm lens, the K2000 would still weigh less than three pounds and be about the same size as an Olympus E-420 with a slightly longer lens. (thanks Harriet for pointing this out in another thread).

Of course, I plan to follow the advice that I give to DSLR newbies all the time: I will eventually check out and handle the K2000 in person. But can anyone with experience tell me if the K2000/18-250mm lens combination might be a viable alternative to a megazoom? Granted it wouldn't be nearly as small and light as an FZ28. But, on the other hand, it wouldn't be that much larger than an SX10 and about a pound heavier. And it would be a real DSLR with an APS sensor.

If I'm splitting hairs and being ridiculous, feel free to tell me. We're all family and friends here and I can take it. ':-)
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:26 PM   #2

You really aren't splitting hairs. I've often regretted selling my DS and keeping the K100 because the DS felt much lighter to me and would have liked to keep a lighter camera to go with the K10 I had at the time. While that weight difference might not sound like all that much on paper, to some people it will make a big difference (which some may NOT like by the way).

I'd be interested in what others think about this also - I haven't handled the K2000 yet either.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote