Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:09 PM   #1

I just got a K10d in mint condition for a good price and gave it to my wife this evening.
She couldn't believe it! I've never seen her so excited. she loves to take pictures and has been doing a pretty good job with the Pentax film bodies I have so, I decided it was time to spring for a DSLR for her. who knows... she might even start posting pix here!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:05 PM   #2

Great move GW. I'm sure the two of you will have lots of fun shooting together. My wife was a die-hard film devotee until about a year and a half ago, when a small local camera store went out of business. he did great processing and printing of film. as soon as she started having her film processed at the local drugstore, and got awful looking, muddy prints, she picked up my digital camera and asked, "so how do you use this thing?" Needless to say, she now has a K 200D while I still have the K 100D. But it's only fitting that she has a better camera, since she's a better photographer. However, she has no interest at all in spending any time on the 'net; I've gotten her to read through this bulletin board, but internet communities just aren't her thing. We do have a lot of fun taking pics together, however.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 9:55 PM   #3

Well done! I'll be looking forward to her pictures. Glad to see that my hubby isn't the only one who likes to give their wife a camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:18 PM   #4

I'm more than happy I finally got my wife to get over her "fear" of the "complicated camera." The K10d is now "her" camera , although I have to admit she has fallen in love with the Panasonic FZ28 we bought as a backup. Gentlemen, some advantages to getting your wives enthusiastic about photography.

1) They no longer complain when you take off and spend too many hours waiting for the "perfect angle" to shoot the osprey.

2) They no longer find it unreasonable when you "just have to buy" a long, fast lens

3) If you're "shooting for money," and she's "shooting backup," she just might catch a moment you would have missed. Witness the candid wedding photo, snapped just after the bride and groom exited the church, while I was still trapped at the altar.

4) I kind of like having her around...sort of gotten used to her after 34 years....and it's something we can enjoy together.

So, hooray for you, GW, and the others who have gotten your spouses to shooting. Now, if I could only get her to enjoy post processing.......hmmmmmm.....

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:10 AM   #5

Good for you, I was too cheap to get a K10D and got my wife a DS instead.

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:38 AM   #6

So far my wife has inherited all my old cameras. She has a better eye for composition than I have and loves going places to shoot photos. Best friend and companion I could ask for.....I think I'll keep her.

Also when I upgrade she complains less knowing that old camera is now hers.

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:15 AM   #7
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My wife is not into takiing pictures or the gear, but she is my biggest photo fan! Never has said a word about money I spend on gear...as a matter of fact she get's tired of me hemming and hawing about whether to spend the $'s or not and is largely responsible for me finally pulling the trigger:-). Like Dawg says, I think I'll keep her as well....23 years and counting!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:50 PM   #8

Cool, GW. Now you need to get her posting here, too.

My hubby has decided to get into the act, too. Although, he's buying Canon and Minolta film cameras and developing his own b&w film. He's kind of making me want to buy an old Pentax film camera that I can use my lenses on and shoot b&w. (My old film slr is a Canon.) I've always loved b&w and wanted to develop my own. Only ever done it once in a class I took years ago. I just loved it. Although, he's only developing the film, not doing prints. He's scanning the negatives into the computer with his film/slide scanner I gave him for Christmas. The funnest part for me was watching the photo appear on the paper.

But, it is nice to be able to go on shoots together. And, now I can fuss at him for taking so much time to get the perfect shot instead of the other way around. And, I guess after 26 years I'll keep him, too.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 9:34 PM   #9

Hi All,

Whoa. . . way too much marital harmony in this forum. . . just kidding. . .

Does a couple, both with Pentax DSLRs suffer from LBA²?

I don't need it -- I've got it enough for two. . . or maybe three. . .:-)

I'm looking forward to all the spouse pics!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:53 PM   #10

Maybe marital bliss goes along with owning a Pentax camera? My hubby (of 27 plus years) plays around with the K100 when we are on vacation - he gets bored waiting for me to take my pictures otherwise. He lets me download and process them. For someone who only knows how to turn the camera on, operate the zoom and push the shutter, he does quite well (I've posted some of his pictures here before) just letting the camera do everything except framing the shot.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote