Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2009, 8:42 PM   #11

Patty -- Great Pics. I love old industrial sites. I've been to Lowell several times, but never to Lawrence. Next time I'm in the area, I need to visit.

Goldwinger -- I love what you've done with Patty's picture. I always wonder, though, how far is too far. I regularly clone out power and telephone lines (and their poles) from scenic shots. Whenever I do it, I think it looks much better, but I know it's no longer a true reflection of what I really recorded. And that takes me straight to the old "art versus photo-journalism" debate. As yet, I haven't resolved that debate in my mind.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:24 AM   #12

Sorry again on letting this go so long. Life tends to get in the way of my hobbies. My mom has been having problems with side effects from her medication and a few other things going on. There just wasn't time this week to read e-mail and/or check out the forums.

Thanks for the comments, Jelpee. I will look into getting a cleaning kit. I've started reading the book "Bread and Roses" someone here recommended. It is very good. I've been searching online for the past hour for maps of the area showing me which mills were where. May need to go to the historical center for them. I haven't figured out if my great grandfather was there the day (Jan 12, 1912) of the strike. He moved around a lot and I can't find him in all the directories. That is one year he's missing. But, I also read in the book that sometimesa lot more people than were allowed boarded in these places. So, might be it wasn't his year to be listed.

GW - Thanks for the colorful sky. I found out this is the clock tower on the Ayer Mill. I read something about it being the second largesttower after Big Ben inthe world. Can't remember right now. I've looked at a lot of sites about the mills this morning.

mtnmn - Thanks for the comments. I, too, wander back and forth as to how much is okay to "fix" in a photo. I really struggled when I took a Photoshop course and we were changing all sorts of things. It was cool you could do it, but I didn't feel it was the correct image. I've sort of settled on "it's okay to change anything you could have done in a darkroom, sort of". But, then, like you said, if there are wires in the way (like I got a lot of yesterday), I so want to pull them out. A definite quandry.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote