Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1

Hey All - not sure if you guys have seen this, http://www.nameyourdreamassignment.com/- sponsored by Lenovo and Microsoft. Enter your dream assignment, and if they select it, you get $50k to go do it Only open to US residents, but anybody can vote..

So if you'd like to help me out.... please vote for me!! You'll have to register on the site, but it's for a good cause!!

Thanks for your support!!!

here is the text of my assignment:

Beauty and Majesty of a Sport and a Country

To capture everything about the event that is the Tour de France. The cyclists at their best and worst, the energy of the fans who line up a week in advance to see their heroes, and the beauty and history of the host country, France.

My dream assignment would be to combine 2 of my passions, photography and cycling: to go to France for the month of July and capture the entirety of the Tour de France.

I imagine following the race day by day for the 3 week event. Some days I would be at the start of the stage, some in the middle along the road, some at the end, and if possible, many at more than one location. Each location provides a different opportunity.

Around the starting area, seeing the riders as they warm up for the day's ride. The fans as they try to catch a glimpse of their favorite rider or team before the start, hunting autographs or a quick snapshot. The bright colors of the teams on the starting line. The rider in the 'maillot jaune' (Yellow Jersey), leading the event and his team surrounding him up front. The other leaders jerseys as well, the Polka Dots, the Green Points jersey, and the White young rider jersey. The starting area has an energy that begs to be captured and shared.

During the middle of a stage, capturing the riders out on the open roads of France, on the flat lands, or climbing a mountain. Seeing the effort they are expending to get to the finish. I would as envision capturing the amazing countryside and villages of France along the route. The fans along the side of the road, some of them waiting for a week or more to see their rider come by, painting the riders names on the pavement to show support - They all have a story to tell. I would attempt to capture that story in images.

At the end of a stage, capturing the finish of the day. Maybe a sprint finish, with the fastest guys in the world battling it out over 200 meters. Maybe a mountain top finish, with the strong climbers leaving everyone else in their dust. Or maybe the break-away succeeds that day, with a few lone riders stealing a win from the peloton. The excitement of the crowd and the joy of victory for the rider crossing the line first.

At the time trial, seeing each rider coming by, one at a time, nobody to race but the clock, seeing the effort it takes to keep pushing when their body tells them 'no more!'.

In Paris, on the final day - the Champs-Élysées - filled with fans, the riders making circuits around the most famous racing streets in the world. Seeing that final champion don the Yellow Jersey and celebrate a most amazing accomplishment.

So that is my dream assignment. The most revered and famous cycling race in the world. Arguably the greatest endurance athletes around. Some of the craziest fans and spectators. And a beautiful country with so much scenery to provide.
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:46 PM   #2

You Got my Vote!! This Would be something i would love to do.

Good luck!!

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote