Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:25 AM   #1

We spent the weekend at a mountain lake. I enjoyed the reflections - it seems like that's what I saw mostly.

Notice the killdeer? Here's another one:

A room in the hotel where we ate a scrumptious lunch (but not where we stayed):

We weren't the only ones visiting this weekend. It was rather a crowd scene no matter where we went. As you can see, it was somewhat hazy, even though there was not a cloud in the sky (made for boring sunrises).

Another very full, very famous waterfall. I may try to re-work this one, I wanted to post it to see what it looks like on my computer at work. I can't decide if I should try to adjust the contrast some - trying to not blow out the whites is very difficult as the falls are very white.

Finally, a set of pictures from such a famous place wouldn't be complete without a picture of this famous landmark:

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:25 AM   #2

Nice Harriet especially the first one!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 8:45 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice series...too bad you ran intohaze on a couple of them. The waterfall looks fine to me. I have almost same picture of this famous waterfall when I visited this well known national park a few years ago. Spring is the best time to visit since I hear by mid August the Falls are down to a trickle. I like the picture of the inside of the hotel (nice lighting and nice perspective).
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:22 AM   #4

Very nice pictures, mtngal. The haze is unfortunate, but hey, at leat you were there! I have never been to Yosemite, but I've wanted to go since I was a little kid. I must say I'm a bit surprised to see no snow on El Cap, and only a small amount on Half Dome. I would haveguessed there would still be quite a bit in late March.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5

I just noticed that Mike Johnston has posted a photo on "The Online Photographer"taken by Rondal Partridge in the 1960s, of the same are where you were this past weekend. Judging from that photo, it appears that someissues have been very problematic in our national parksfor a long time. Right now the photo is close to the top of his web site, but he addsnew postingsall the time so you may need to sroll down to find it. But I'm sure you'll recognize the photo when you see it!

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...log_index.html

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:09 PM   #6

Very nice Harriet!
the one of the falls looks about perfect on my monitor.

no haze there
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:54 PM   #7

Yep - some things never change. Or rather, the only thing that changes is the model of the cars. Yosemite is a place that attracts millions of people every year, and with good reason. The hotel picture was taken in the Ahwahnee, built in the 1920's and still absolutely beautiful today.

It's not unusual for the snow to be mostly gone by the end of March and the water falls full. They were still skiing at Badger Pass, but I think that is the last weekend. There was still quite a bit of snow up there, but it was soft and it won't take long for it to all melt (though new snow is still possible, though I wouldn't expect it to last long). The high country still has lots of snow - the Tioga Road is still closed.

The first time my husband saw Yosemite was in August or September. I had raved about the waterfalls for days, only to find that Yosemite Falls was dry. He looked at where it should have been and shrugged. Was I ever disappointed!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote