Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:39 AM   #11

I think my options will be limited by budget. Think it will be the 18-55 and the 55-300 Pentax kit lenses to start with as they seem to have universal good reviews and then once I have got through the initial learning period I will see what else I want to buy.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:07 AM   #12

Hi-I own an Ist DS & a K10d with an assortment of lenses. The reason I haven't bought the K20 is that the reviews I read said in order to get the most out of the K20 you need to have the new * lenses. In my opinion they are large, heavy, & expensive. I have the 55-300 which does a great job with my K10d. If you put a kit lens on a K20d I don't know if you will get a better image than if it was on the K10d. If your lenses match the camera you probably get the best results you are looking for.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #13

Glad you decided on the K20. For the little extra it will be worth it. Scene modes are almost always the first thing most folks leave behind as they really are more restrictive than freeing. You'll find P mode or AV mode along with manual mode is all that is needed even with old manual focus lenses. As to the LBA problem....not a problem really as it can be controlled by an early demise.....I mean in 2 1/2 years I've bought only about 60 or so lenses so you see it can be controlled....I promised the wife to buy only two or three a month. I only need 30 or so to have all the Vivitar lenses....Then there are the Takumars and the Auto Takumars and then the Tele Takumars and then the Soligors and the the A* lenses and then the SMC A lenses and the SMC M lenses and then the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz lenses and the Carl Zeiss lenses and then the FA lenses and then the FA* lenses and the F and FAJ lenses and the PZ lenses and then the Helios lenses and then the Jupiter lenses and then and then......I don't have a problem!!!!! I don't!!! No ....no Keep the straight jacket away.....NOOOOOOO!!!!!

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:53 PM   #14

I see that Dawg's wife has enlisted some help to keep his LBA in check....

The two lenses that you have identified should cover 98% of everything you would want to do. When the K20D was introduced, Pentax brought out a version II of the kit that had a higher resolution capability. So that would be the one I would choose.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote