Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1

Hi All,

Spring has still yet to have sprung here -- it's still in the 40's -- but at least the lakes are clear of ice, and the snow that we had yesterday didn't last long. . .

. . . but I did spot this guy at the little lake outside my condo complex. It was very overcast and dark, so I was pretty much forced to shoot at ISO 1250. I shot in Av priority and used the smallest aperture that I could while trying to keep the shutter speed over 1/125, which I've settled on as about the slowest I can handhold with a good chance of getting some keepers.

The noise was considerable, but for me, ISO 1250 on the K20 cleans up pretty well without using NR software during resizing for posting, so I just selected the bird and locally sharpened. These aren't as good as I would have liked, but not bad considering the circumstances.

#s 1&2 was at @ 40 ft and is cropped to about 2/3 of the frame, #s 3&4 were at @ 70 ft, cropped to about 1/4 of the original frame.

I was surprised that I had to go to -2 Ev compensation to keep from blowing out the whites as I was also using spot metering. . . I'll probably clone out those branches in #s 3&4 when I get a chance.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2009, 3:33 PM   #2

Nice capture Scott!
have only had the chance to get one of those on camera one time, they are nice looking birds.
weather here turned cold last night, mid 50's and will get colder tonight, low 40's then start gradually warming up again, by this weekend it will be back in the mid 80's again.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2009, 9:54 PM   #3

Very nice pictures, especially considering the ISO. I often shoot up to 1600 and a couple at 2000 worked out well, but the exposure has to be right on to be really good. It's too bad spring is waiting so long - we've had quite a bit of spring.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote